Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After lots of googling and searching on this forum, I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I couldn't find it in the owners manual either.
Just wondering what the tipping point is on the LML in regards to ECT's? I'm not worried about where the operating temp should be as I know I'm good there. I'm already aware of the inaccuracy of the factory gauge. Just trying to figure out where I should set my alarm on my CTS. At what temp does damage start to occur on these engines?

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
I have mine set at 230°, I know people run them alot warmer. I figure the the alarm should sound before it's a big problem and can easily pull over and check for problems before it gets too warm.

I don't tow in the mountains or in extreme heat so I generally don't see much over 220°.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sub for results

And is 185 ish operating temp.. That's what my cts reads when I'm all warmed up

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes 185* is pretty normal. That was the most I hit today with my winter front on. And it was almost T-shirt weather today. I generally hover around 181* on the CTS.

From what I understand 250* is when fluids start to break down. So that is about the point where any engine will start to incur damage. I knew gassers were always around there. Just wasn't sure if the Duramax was any different. 830King makes a really good argument for setting the alarm at 230*. I'd imagine you'd have to be pretty hard pressed to get these LML's up to even that temp.

Reactions: Jezzum450

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey all I just got a 2012 LTZ with 61k miles. It's all stock (for about a week!) but my average temp was around 210 on the ride home. Is that normal or should I get the dealership to check it out before I delete it? My cummins used to run on average around 185 so I'm somewhat concerned. This is my first DMAX so I'm not sure what's the norm for yall.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey all I just got a 2012 LTZ with 61k miles. It's all stock (for about a week!) but my average temp was around 210 on the ride home. Is that normal or should I get the dealership to check it out before I delete it? My cummins used to run on average around 185 so I'm somewhat concerned. This is my first DMAX so I'm not sure what's the norm for yall.

Your good man

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
48 Posts
So that's normal??

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ya your good for some reason my analog reads identical to your but my digital read out (cts) will read 185-190

So In lamer terms your perfectly normal every duramax I've been in does this

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks man you got me feeling a lot better haha

·
Registered
44 Posts
181 then goes up to 185 then the thermostat opens drops to 177. stays about 183 on the highway.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well now that makes me worry Hahahaha ! I can't find a happy medium!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The factory ECT gauge is completely useless. They are never very accurate. They have always been like that on the Duramax's. Unless you are overheating or warming up, they sit at the 210 mark for the most part. There are lots of posts on this. GM likely does it on purpose so that people don't see a fluctuating gauge and freak out. So when yours is saying 210, you're likely actually somewhere between 180* and 220*. But you need not worry about where your needle is sitting. If it starts going well over that line than you might want to pay attention, otherwise keep on truckin.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've noticed my factory engine temp runs 25 or so degrees hotter than my dashboard app shows the temp to be.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
The factory ECT gauge is completely useless. They are never very accurate. They have always been like that on the Duramax's. Unless you are overheating or warming up, they sit at the 210 mark for the most part. There are lots of posts on this. GM likely does it on purpose so that people don't see a fluctuating gauge and freak out. So when yours is saying 210, you're likely actually somewhere between 180* and 220*. But you need not worry about where your needle is sitting. If it starts going well over that line than you might want to pay attention, otherwise keep on truckin.
Part of the reason the gauges don't move much is because the thermostat is doing its job....

Closed til it reaches the 'start to open temp'. (so the engine warms up)

As it opens, more coolant is flows thru the radiator, increasing the effective cooling capacity. Then it varies how much it is open to maintain the coolant temperature at the 'operating' level.

Once the thermostat is wide open and flow is at maximum, increased heat load will result in higher coolant temps.

Reactions: 2013 LTZ

·
Registered
211 Posts
2016 GMC is sitting on 210 once warm. That's kind of high isn't it or is the gauge just not accurate. Truck only has 500 miles on it. Gauge is not analog it's the LED type display found in the Denali truck.

That is regular driving temp on highway and city mixed I have not towed with it yet.

·
Premium Member
2,284 Posts
GM makes them a "dummy" gauge, that way when you think its way to hot, its still in a ok range, I think it was smart for them to do

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
210 showing is completely normal. The gauges point straight up when running normal. Over 230 be concerned.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Normal operating temps are 185-210 so long as your inbetween those your fine

1 - 19 of 19 Posts