Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have experience with the Cooper ST Maxx tires how do they do in the mud?? Trying to decide on whether to get the STMaxx or the ST Pro mud tire. Also for those who have run the All Terrains and the mud tires is there much of a difference in fuel mileage between the two?
Thanks for any info
Rick

·
Registered
582 Posts
Heck, I saw an immediate loss in mileage when going from the factory Michelin AT2's (should be considered street tread), to Cooper AT3 XLT's in the same size. Mud Terrain will also show some decrease due to additional rolling resistance and weight.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
I was not overly impressed with STMaxx in light mud. Had to use 4WD. That's when they were new. I now have 14k on them. I'm considering selling them and going with Michelin AT2's.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I would stay away from Coopers. I had a set of ST MAXX on my 15 and they got very loud, pulled to the right, and could not be aligned. I’ve got a set of 35-12.50R20 with about half tread that you can have for 400.00. Im running same size Ridge Grapplers now and they are amazing. Quiet, handle anything I can throw at them, and they look great. They are more expensive, but when it comes to the only thing that is in contact with the road, I don’t mind spending a bit more.

Reactions: Black HD

·
Premium Member
4,696 Posts
I would stay away from Coopers. I had a set of ST MAXX on my 15 and they got very loud, pulled to the right, and could not be aligned. I’ve got a set of 35-12.50R20 with about half tread that you can have for 400.00. Im running same size Ridge Grapplers now and they are amazing. Quiet, handle anything I can throw at them, and they look great. They are more expensive, but when it comes to the only thing that is in contact with the road, I don’t mind spending a bit more.
The OP asked specifically about tires for mud. I cannot speak to that because I dont' gomudding or even need a 4WD for what I do.

That said, I would not dis all Cooper tires. I run Cooper Adventurer A/T's. They are an AT tire and work just fine, BUT they are definitely not a mud tire.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've currently got a set of S/T Maxx and I've got no complaints. My alignment is perfect. Obviously, they're good in the snow. I haven't had any noticeable issue in the mud either. Currently have about 23K on them and there's a lot of tread left.

Bob Anderson
From my Galaxy S9+ using Tapatalk.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Loved my Cooper ST maxx on my 2013.... no issues w balance, drivability mud or snow. great all around. and MUCH quieter than the duratracs I'm running now on the 2019. Plus I had vibration issues with the duratracs. I will be going back to the Coopers after these wear out...

·
Registered
24 Posts
How many miles do you guys get out of the st maxx?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts