Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased my first diesel. an 06 gmc 2500 lbz. I know on diesels your supposed to wait till the orange glow plug light goes out before you "start" the truck. Does this also apply to my truck because I dont see a glow plug light on the dash. DUMB question I know, but thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Welcome to the DF!! There is a glo plug light, looks like a curly pigtail. It will come on when the temps get cold enough. If it doesn't, you have a bad glo plug module.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Mine will only flash for a second in freezing temps, the dmax glow plugs heat up quickly, not like my old 6.0 it was on for atleast 5 seconds, In this nice weather good chance you wont see it, its on the upper left of the cluster

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, i just went in my truck to check it out. it doesnt come on at all when i turn the ignition on. i can see barely see the outline of it...are you talking about the one with the two little swooshes??? so whats the deal do you think its burnt out or something?

·
NewEST Spinny Thinggg
4,291 Posts
its prolly not even coming on even in winter its only on like 2 sec

·
like a Ninja
5,212 Posts
thanks, i just went in my truck to check it out. it doesnt come on at all when i turn the ignition on. i can see barely see the outline of it...are you talking about the one with the two little swooshes??? so whats the deal do you think its burnt out or something?
yeah, its the little looped-d-loop lookin thing.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Its probably not busted your most likely not going to see it in nice weather how cold is it around you?

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Probably not, it just isn't that cold any more. You probably won't see it until the temp gets cold again. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea i picked it up saturday i havent noticed it yet. its been around 60 and sunny everyday. does this mean i can pretty much just turn the key all in one motion when its warm out? lol

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Yes.. yes it does, I usually turn it to the on position let it sit for a second, check for the light and make sure the clusters working and then turn the truck on.. it comforts me lol

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
More than likely your engine is warm enough to not need the glow plugs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I always plug in my truck when its below 20 but only seen the light come on when its below 10 & plugged in so you probably won't see it until below 30 not plugged in. I'm basing that just from my own experiences so far. Never started hard once even when temp was below 0 for 5 days straight around here.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
mine comes on and its been 80 here for a few weeks now..
If its warm out the glow plugs do nothing, they really are only needed when its cold so you dont crank the motor for a million revolutions trying to start it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Welcome to the DF!! There is a glo plug light, looks like a curly pigtail. It will come on when the temps get cold enough. If it doesn't, you have a bad glo plug module.

It would problem set a CEL if that was the case.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
It would problem set a CEL if that was the case.
I agree that it should, but mine didn't. The module just quit working and I didn't get a light, CEL or anything. Weird, huh!! :confused:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine didn't come on for a little bit either, but when it was about 59degrees outside it came on for just a couple of seconds then went out... But it doesn't come on when I start my truck like all of the other dashboard lights... I thought that was strange, I figured it would at least come on when I start the truck like the other lights but I guess not...

·
Registered
425 Posts
i wait for all the dings i think there is like 5 or 6 haha no matter what the temp is haha

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
I wait until the "chimes" stop ringing-thats about 5 seconds.then I start up 'ol Betsy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts