Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I took my 06 LBZ In to the Dealer (STEALER) this morning because It was smoking blue and knocking, and It turns out the #3 injector needs to be replaced, they told me $1200 Installed with a new fuel filter, & some kind of gasket kit?? Is there a gasket Kit?? Any ways are they screwing me or Is this about right for a dealership price??:help

·
Registered
619 Posts
There's an o-ring and copper washer that get installed with each injector, but they usually come with an injector. There's no way it should cost that much, it should be $350-$450 a reman injector so I'm not sure how they're coming up with 7+ hours of labour. You've got an LBZ, should be fairly easy install for you to do.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
change it your self it is real easy, i paid 350 for a injector from my stealership took like 45 min to change out #2 and # 5,,just be clean,,it was my first time messing with a diesel injector and it was cake

·
Vanned this place
8,122 Posts
change it your self it is real easy, i paid 350 for a injector from my stealership took like 45 min to change out #2 and # 5,,just be clean,,it was my first time messing with a diesel injector and it was cake
Lbz injector part cost at dealer 'was' around $600 a couple years ago. Don't know todays price.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Not trying to derail thread but are the refurbished injectors as good as new ones? Refurbished are about $500 cheaper for a full set. Thanks

If you're looking to sell the truck in the next year or two then refurb is fine but if you're keeping it long term, then go with remans.

I went with a full set of remans on mine and Andrew was great to deal with.

·
Registered
619 Posts
What's the difference between refurbished and remanufactured? The link you posted is for brand new...

·
Vanned this place
8,122 Posts
I keep debating replacing the one I've got (at +2.x at last check) vs holding out and seeing how work goes this year and do a trans, turbo, and bigger injectors. :D

Mileage I've got I light as well replace them all at once.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Is there any reason to replace fuel lines from/to the tank or have the tank cleaned if you're upgrading all 8? Or would you only do that if contaminants broke your injector?

·
Registered
619 Posts
With an AirDog and the factory filter head deleted is there any way of contaminants getting in the fuel after the AirDog?

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
What's the difference between refurbished and remanufactured? The link you posted is for brand new...

Remans = disassembled, parts replaced, retested (0 miles)

Refurbs = used injectors which are cleaned & tested (unknown mileage)

With an AirDog and the factory filter head deleted is there any way of contaminants getting in the fuel after the AirDog?

No unless you have rusted fuel lines for some reason.

·
Vanned this place
8,122 Posts

·
Registered
5,777 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys for all the helpful post, I just don't feel comfortable doing It myself, I do my own oil changes, fuel filters, air filters, and that's about It, but I did call most af all the local chevy dealers around my area and they were all about $100 from each other, merchant automotive ( the DURAMAX GURUS) out In Zeeland, Michigan was about $300 cheaper than the dealers but It's about a 2 hour drive from my house, so with the added fuel expense, and the $100.00 for the diagnosic charge I just told the STEALER to do IT!! I even called a guy who has his own garage (kind of a buddy of mine) and he said he'd only be able to save me maybe $200 If I was lucky over the dealers price, but I want to say THANKS on posting the INJECTORS DIRECT .COM website, I will buy atleast 2 extra injectors from them just to keep In the garage in case this happens again, which sems kind of common on the d-max, they are cheaper, and I can have the guy I know with his own shop Install It for me, and just pay him labor!! Again a big shout out to all you D- Max boys for all your help, I LOVE this SITE!! Mike!!

·
Vanned this place
8,122 Posts
I gotta say I'm pretty skeptical about someone with a single posting and then something like that with no history at all.

I can post plenty of occurances where it worked out fine, like this one:
LLY: New Injector - Amazing difference - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Now maybe he's having issues with refurbs but those remans are legit IMHO.
Before today member squatn20s had 1 post since 2011

up to 4 now, three in that thread.

skeptical huh

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
1 - 20 of 51 Posts