Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long story short, my cousin's Mustang GT died out on the Bonneville Salt Flats yesterday. After a long, long journey back to my house I pulled a flatbed up to go get him. It was a 6x20 and it seemed really heavy for some reason... the truck definitely was working to pull it, and getting up to speed took a minute unless I really buried the pedal.

I slipped the converter for a split-second when trying to maintain 73MPH~ up a hill; it hiccuped just briefly and bumped the RPM up MAYBE 50-100RPM, and it only did it once... I was sure to drop into 4th if I needed to accelerate any more though. Am I in trouble? Trans temp never went over 190 (90* ambient) and ECT only got hot enough to run the fan when at 80MPH.

I don't have any codes, and I can't imagine the load being over 8k with the car on it... the truck seemed fine and dandy the whole drive, aside from being kinda slow. Anything I should be looking for, or could do it make it pull a bit better? Honestly I was a bit surprised, I thought it would whip that trailer around like no 'thang, and it seemed to definitely struggle a bit.

I've only ever pulled two things with this truck before this--my buddy's '99 Corolla on a dolly, and a trailer with 3 ATV's w/ gear (plus one more ATV in the bed). Neither of those two times did it even seem to notice that anything was back there.

Here's a pic of the trailer and car:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Maybe the brakes are hanging on the trailer? Or a hub is seized?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe the brakes are hanging on the trailer? Or a hub is seized?
The trailer isn't mine, it's a rental; it doesn't have brakes either (yeah, that kinda sucked) but I can check the hubs. It's just parked outside.

Would a downpipe and opening up my exhaust help at all with this?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Were you in tow/hual mode?

My 5" helped alot with towing but that was from stock dont know how well 4" would help

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Were you in tow/hual mode?

My 5" helped alot with towing but that was from stock dont know how well 4" would help
Yes. When down-shifting I would let off the pedal and get out of boost, then hold the OD cancel button to down-shift, then accelerate, level out and then let it go back into OD.

·
Registered
897 Posts
The trailer isn't mine, it's a rental; it doesn't have brakes either (yeah, that kinda sucked) but I can check the hubs. It's just parked outside.

Would a downpipe and opening up my exhaust help at all with this?
4" Exhaust should be fine, from what I have read, downpipe will help with EGTs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts