Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first let me start by saying, i have absolutely zero knowledge about efi live. With that said, I was curious about what I would need to do or parts that I would need to buy and how much all of this would cost, Or would I be better of to go the auto-cal direction?(I have an 05 duramax)

·
Registered
112 Posts
There are many tuners on here that will help you and I'm sure will chime in. I get my tuning done from a friend who just does all of our friends' trucks so I can't really recommend anyone to you. You won't need to buy extra parts, for a dsp5 switch loaded with tunes expect to pay 500-700. Woukdnt be a bad idea to look into the basic mods too but any tuner will let you know what to do

·
Bobo
684 Posts
first let me start by saying, i have absolutely zero knowledge about efi live. With that said, I was curious about what I would need to do or parts that I would need to buy and how much all of this would cost, Or would I be better of to go the auto-cal direction?(I have an 05 duramax)
An Autocal comes with everything you need. If you want a local tuner to do your tunes, you could ask them what they supply. I'd guess they would have all you need to get tunes.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
PM "Sick Diesel" or "Mr. Manners" and they will get you all the info you ever wanted on EFI Live from Rob or Kory.

·
Registered
808 Posts
No need for an Autocal. It is just extra money you waste for no reason at all really. Give my guy Phil at Georgia Diesel a call for some extra customer service as well as great pricing for a DSP5 and EFILive. Tell him Troy sent you and he will get you setup great!!!

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
Feel free to give me a call anytime bud, i would be more than happy to answer any questions you have about EFILive and the autocal itself. :thumb

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it is clear as mud now lol. What is autocal and what part does it play? If i understand correctly, i can get efi live and dsp5 switch with 5 tunes, or i can get all that in addition to "autocal" is this correct? I have searched but cannot find anywhere to read up on this and dont want to throw money away on something that ill never use. Thanks again

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
^ just what Willie said

There is a few methods for EFI

V2. this requires a laptop, your tuner sends you a tune and you load to to your truck

Autocal. small handheld unit that comes preloaded with tunes. you plug it in, flash your truck and vola.

Having it tuned at a shop. this option is generally cheaper, but if you ever need to change tunes you have to go back to that shop, and you cant read or clear codes, or data log this way either.

Years ago i used to be all about the V2 for people. Now, being older and smart i learned that the autocals are hands down the easiest least confusing method of loading tunes to your truck

·
Bobo
684 Posts
Well it is clear as mud now lol. What is autocal and what part does it play? If i understand correctly, i can get efi live and dsp5 switch with 5 tunes, or i can get all that in addition to "autocal" is this correct? I have searched but cannot find anywhere to read up on this and dont want to throw money away on something that ill never use. Thanks again

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
An Autocal is the device that enables communication used to program your engine and/or transmission computer, data log your controllers, read and clear codes, and some other speciality functions. It is a small black box that comes with 2 cords. One cord is used to attach the autocal device to the port in your vehicle and the other cord is used to attach the Autocal device to a USB port on your computer.

EFI Live is the company that makes the autocal device. EFI Live develops the computer software used on your computer too. The software programs are called version 7.5 scan, version 7.5 tune, and version 8 scan and tune. These software versions are commonly called v7.5 and v8.

Your Autocal unit can be used in two ways. One way is called the black box method. This involves using the Autocal and the cord that connects it to your vehicle. The Autocal can then be used to program, read, data log, or run diagnostic tests. The second way it can be used is called pass through mode. The Autocal is connected to the vehicle and also the computer in pass through mode. The EFI live software v7.5 scan can be used to data log directly onto the computer or V8 software can be used to program or read a controller directly to the computer.

DSP stand for Duramax Switchable Program. It is a special operating system developed by EFI Live that allows a tuner to make up to 5 on the fly switchable tunes work in conjunction with a special switch that's installed into the engine controller of a Duramax. A DSP5 is a five tune operating system. A DSP2 is a two tune operating system.

The tuner you buy the Autocal from will provide the tunes you need to program into your vehicle. If you would like a DSP tune, you will also need a switch. Most tuners provide the switch as part of a package. You can read more about how an Autocal is used by going to DieselX.com and click on our FAQ tab. There is a link to tuning info there that may help you understand more on the specifics of using an AutoCal.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys, even I can understand this stuff so far, now what about the v-2 can I get some pricing on that?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I understand most of what has been discussed so far. If I understand the v-2 method, I will buy tunes from a tuner and use a laptop to load them on my truck?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok back on the autocal, if I buy an autocal with tunes, is it possible to tune 2 different trucks at the same time with one unit? What im getting at is, if I get one and buy tunes to put on my truck, can I then buy separate tunes for a friends truck and have them sent to me via email and put them on his truck?

·
Bobo
684 Posts
Ok back on the autocal, if I buy an autocal with tunes, is it possible to tune 2 different trucks at the same time with one unit? What im getting at is, if I get one and buy tunes to put on my truck, can I then buy separate tunes for a friends truck and have them sent to me via email and put them on his truck?
Yes, many of our customers do that.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
approximately what would be the costs for the second vehicle be?

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
depends on who you have tune it. Once you get a tuner nailed down you can get prices for a second set of tunes easier

The top tuners are Kory (PPEI), Rob(ATP Trucks) and Nick(DuramaxTuner)

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have the lb7 i have ppe programmer standard boost valve, intake, 4inch exhaust, and lifter pump how much power you think im pushing?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts