Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

CP3 failure

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  nmeyer414 
#1 ·
so for the last 2 years I have been getting a P0087 (low pressure fuel rail code) when ever I got into it.

well about mid may I took B.B. into the mechanic and said here is whats happenin, figure it out, let me know and fix it. I told him that the filter head was a year old (bought brand new from dealer), and that all the rubber lines coming to and from the filter head were replaced with new high pressure rubber hoses.

so he said give him 2 weeks to figure out what the problem was, he had an LB7 getting a new motor and an LBZ getting the CP3 replaced in front of me. I said sure, no problem, call me in 2 weeks and let me know what you find.

2 weeks later, he calls me and tells me that the CP3 needed to be replaced. I asked him what he did as far as testing it and he told me that when he was commanding 100%, it was falling flat on its face and only producing about 4k PSI. I asked him if he checked all the lines and he said he did and that they were good and that he will replace the 2 short ones on the CP3 when he replaces it.

well 2 weeks later I get a call saying that the new CP3 was in and that it was ready for pick up. when I got to the shop I took it for a test drive and popped a P0087 code with in 1/4 from his shop. I turned around, limped it back and told him that it wasn't fixed and that I would call him after the 4th of july weekend.

well I got a call yesterday saying that the issue was found and that it was going to be done, running and ready for pick up yesterday afternoon. when I asked him what the issue was and why it took so long. he stated that he had to have the dealer run their dye machine on it and that it was one of the last places they looked while testing (this was no extra cost to me)

so the out come of the issue was that when 4 wheel parts installed my titan tank 3 years ago, they pinched one of the draw lines between the tank and the saddle strap. well as things got hot and swelled, it began to severely pinch and destroy the draw hose. over time that caused the CP3 to fail or become weak because it was having to suck much harder just to get the same amount of fuel.

I now have B.B. back and she runs like a raped ape. here is the hose that was that cause of it all.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Thanks for posting the "Fix". Everyone learns with that-!

#9 ·
In the Jeep community, 4 wheel parts is like the plague. Many people refuse to take their Jeeps there to get worked on because of the lack of experience of their techs, bad customer service, uncaring attitude....the list goes on.

I'd march down to 4 Wheel Parts with the bad hose and tell them what they did and that you want reimbursed for the damage / repairs they caused.

#11 ·
That's why I do all my own mods, or at least the ones I can do myself. Heard way too many stories about stuff that got messed up by some shop monkey. So far, I haven't had any issues from all the mods I installed, but if I do, I always know who to blame.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.