Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Just bought my 2011 and im pretty sure I just had cp4 failure. Wondering if I can repair this myself and if there is any how to's and videos anywhere. Thanks

·
Registered
774 Posts
Youtube. I would do a CP3 conversion instead of replacing the CP4. Fleece has a youtube vid i know.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The hard part would be cleaning the fuel tank. Other than that it's just R&R. Don't be in a rush and take pictures.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Its not a terribly hard job. Time consuming especially if you put all the stock egr stuff back on. A friend and I swapped mine to cp3 and did an s400 kit in about 12 hours from tear down to start up and we didnt exactly work non stop.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im new to this site and still trying to figure it out. Yes im definitely going to go with the cp3. I was actually looking at the lincoln diesel site and they offer a recalibrated cp3 that is set up for the def delete. They also have a whole kit that has injectors and everything but it adds up fast $$$$ do I really need to replace them or is this just over kill

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,292 Posts
do I really need to replace them or is this just over kill
That option is for those who have experienced the CP4 destruction, which requires new injectors, among other things.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
If your cp4 did indeed fail you need to either get new injectors or send then off to be cleaned and checked. Clean or buy new fuel rails, lines, clean tank, etc. Anything to do with the fuel system needs cleaned or replaced or you risk damaging the new fuel system components.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,292 Posts
How do I tell if that's happened or not
When you're calling a tow truck.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Check out injectors direct as well for parts pertaining to the fuel system. They dont offer a CP3 swap kit but they do offer everything else you would need.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
I wouldn't get injectors from them. They had alot of issues with bad injectors a few years back and continue too from what i hear.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I wouldn't get injectors from them. They had alot of issues with bad injectors a few years back and continue too from what i hear.
Prolly why the prices are so good

·
Registered
372 Posts
Im new to this site and still trying to figure it out. Yes im definitely going to go with the cp3. I was actually looking at the lincoln diesel site and they offer a recalibrated cp3 that is set up for the def delete. They also have a whole kit that has injectors and everything but it adds up fast $$$$ do I really need to replace them or is this just over kill
About the biggest particle that can pass thru the injectors is about 7 micron. About the biggest particle that you can see with the naked eye is about 50 microns. A human hair can be about 100 microns. If your CP4 destroyed itself you have metal contamination throughout your fuel system including the return line back to the tank even if you can not see it. Most places will replace most of the fuel lines, flush out the return and fuel tank, and then do a CP3 conversion. If you don't the chances of plugging up your new injectors is almost a given. With that being said if a shop does the work and they plug up an injector the issue is on their side. If you do it you can only point the finger at yourself. Considering the price of new injectors let a shop that knows what they are doing handle it. You will probably save a lot of money in the long run. It is more than just replacing parts. Dean

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
About the biggest particle that can pass thru the injectors is about 7 micron. About the biggest particle that you can see with the naked eye is about 50 microns. A human hair can be about 100 microns. If your CP4 destroyed itself you have metal contamination throughout your fuel system including the return line back to the tank even if you can not see it. Most places will replace most of the fuel lines, flush out the return and fuel tank, and then do a CP3 conversion. If you don't the chances of plugging up your new injectors is almost a given. With that being said if a shop does the work and they plug up an injector the issue is on their side. If you do it you can only point the finger at yourself. Considering the price of new injectors let a shop that knows what they are doing handle it. You will probably save a lot of money in the long run. It is more than just replacing parts. Dean
Im not trying to sharpshoot you here, but if you have fuel filters that take the specs down to 4 microns, and you clean and flush the tank, would those very filters not catch any debris left over in the tank on its way back to the new CP3?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Im not trying to sharpshoot you here, but if you have fuel filters that take the specs down to 4 microns, and you clean and flush the tank, would those very filters not catch any debris left over in the tank on its way back to the new CP3?
Yes you are correct but that does nothing to address the debris that is down stream of your failed CP4. The rail, rail lines and injectors. Dean

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Yes you are correct but that does nothing to address the debris that is down stream of your failed CP4. The rail, rail lines and injectors. Dean
I agree It seems to me the CP4 and every component up to and including the injectors should be changed. The return lines, tank and even the suppl lines up to the filter should be flushed bu tthe filters should be catching any remaining debris,

In the great grand scheme of things that is not a lot of money comparatively, but some are on very tight budgets and saving every nickle possible is required.

If it were mine Id most likely do it myself and change EVERY one of those components, "Just to be sure." :wink2:

And nobody has mentioned but then it will require trip to the dealer to get the flow rates of the injectors programmed into the ECM and GPCM

I was just thinking about those who are starting out in life and have strict budgets.............Like I did!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So where do you guys recommend me to get the parts I need from and what do you guys recommend? This is my first diesel and im lacking knowledge about it
The truck currently has
Full egr & dpf delete
3"mbrp down pipe
5" flo pro stainless downpipe back exhaust
PPEI 5 position SOTF tuning

1 - 20 of 39 Posts