Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
3,005 Posts
This right here makes me put more faith in Dodge than GM, which makes me sad.

GM knows there is a problem with the CP4 but does nothing. RAM sees the problem and does a voluntary recall.

·
Registered
2021 3500HD GMC Denali
152 Posts
I doubt GM will recall the LML this far out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
My last truck was a Dodge and I had it for 20 years. From my point of view, when you go to all the trouble of rebranding from Dodge to Ram to distance yourself from the crap part problems Dodge Trucks became known for, you've got solve a problem like this quickly. Especially with a part like the CP4 that already has a bad reputation.

·
Registered
174 Posts
This right here makes me put more faith in Dodge than GM, which makes me sad.

GM knows there is a problem with the CP4 but does nothing. RAM sees the problem and does a voluntary recall.
I couldn't agree more. I left a similar sentiment over on ford-trucks. If I hadn't just bought a new GMC, I would certainly be over at the Ram dealer looking things over.

Ford and GM have for years handled the pump issue wrong. At least back in the day GM was 'usually' replacing the pump/injectors when they blew up under warranty. Ford has had the stance of 'you broke it, your fault' since the first CP4 grenaded. And that stance hasn't changed a bit in the 10 years they've been running it. I cringe to think how much money Ford owners have turned over to Ford over those ten years. I give credit to GM at least in that they finally ditched a bad design and went with Denso for the whole she'bang on the L5P

For people who follow this sort of thing (like us) this move by Stellantis/Ram is going to move mountains in the customer confidence department. And I do mean what I said, if they had announced this a few months ago, I would be looking for a Ram dually right now.

Reactions: jdwarren

·
Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
3,005 Posts
I doubt GM will recall the LML this far out.

Oh for sure. But this design flaw with the CP4 isn't something new, either. GM just brushed it aside and moved on to a new platform altogether.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think the best thing GM could've done is what they did with the LB7 injectors. Acknowledge the issue, offer a warranty extension. I guess the guy/gal who worked at GM that thought that up didn't work there anymore when the CP4 issue came along. :cautious:

·
Registered
2014 3500HD SRW 4x4
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I may be wishing hopelessly here, but I have to believe the GM stonewalling on hpfp failures will change when one of the big three cave and acknowledge the problem.

The guys over at Morgan & Morgan probably popped some Champaign when this RAM announcement came out. They have the class-action against GM out there, trying to get momentum.

·
Registered
2015 Duramax LTZ Z71
82 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax
146 Posts
Too bad GM won't do the right thing. I have no faith that they will. GM has known for years that they've had an issue with the CP4 pump. I'm either going to do the CP3 conversion or install and updated CP4.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts