Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi checked my tranny for oil today and half of the dipstick tube came up with the dipstick. Is this easy to change?:help

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I had the same issue, infact mine is still broken. Just get some hose and hose clamps and put it back together. Put foil inbetween the turbo dp and hose so it doesnt melt

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
It is easy to change. I've never done it, but I think its only a few bolts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i found it to be difficult, but only because it was too hard to put the bottom part back in the tranny with the rubber seal that is on there... I actually got frustrated and messed the seal up. I would definitely just use hose clamps or something unless you are losing fluid...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i found it to be difficult, but only because it was too hard to put the bottom part back in the tranny with the rubber seal that is on there... I actually got frustrated and messed the seal up. I would definitely just use hose clamps or something unless you are losing fluid...
It's pretty far up so no leak, hose clamp and hose it is then. Thnx guys :drink

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
let me know if you need some pictures of how i did mine

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
ill get some up tomorrow for you, it is snowing here as of now

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
The dipstick tube takes some finessing to change. There are two nuts that you will need to remove with a 13mm. Then just slide the tube straight up and finesse it until you get it out. Having it in the truck like it is in your case makes it tough, but it can be done just be patient with it.

If you need a dipstick tube check around, theres probably plenty of people with one laying around, especially those who switched to Mike L.s drivers side dipstick tube.

·
Registered
33 Posts
does that rubber seal go completely down into the hole in the transmission,or is there suppose to be part of it sticking out ,i just tried to put my new dipstick tube in my 08 and it was a major PITA,not enough room to raise it up enough ,i got it in but the seal is not sitting right

·
Registered
30 Posts
This happened to me too. I took it out and welded it. It is a bitch to get the rubber seal back in but it needs to be in there all the way or it can leak or get dirt in your tranny fluid. The easiest way to get the dipstick tube back in there without fighting it too much was to loosen the front body mounts and jack the body up just enough to make some room in there. hope this helps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This happened to me too. I took it out and welded it. It is a bitch to get the rubber seal back in but it needs to be in there all the way or it can leak or get dirt in your tranny fluid. The easiest way to get the dipstick tube back in there without fighting it too much was to loosen the front body mounts and jack the body up just enough to make some room in there. hope this helps.
i didnt pay attention when we took it out,but i think my seal has a shoulder on it that sits on top of the transmission,will loosen up the cab bolts and try that ,that will work because i only needed a couple more inches

1 - 12 of 12 Posts