Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since I have been on. Converted from LB7 to an LBZ in 2016 with an unknown engine, and now have a cracked piston in cylinder 3. I am looking for suggestions for a long block to start from a known good position going forward.

Mods are minimal, tune from ATP, Transgo JR, EGR delete and 3 " down pipe from Pro Fab. and am currently around 460ish with my largest tune

I am looking for a reliable way ahead to maintain 500-550 rwhp, with mixed use as a DD and towing. Only other mods I have thought of are bigger injectors to reduce pulse width and timing, and a remote possibility of a Danville turbo.

I have looked at DFC Engines, but their street series is all stock, and $10K. After some research, I found Xcaliber Diesel Performance, where Jeremy recommends mahle LB7 delipped Pistons, keyed crank/cam, wagler oil pump and ARP heads studs. I was also going to add a Callie AF cam to help reduce crankshaft pressures, and am around $8k

Sorry for the long winded post, does anyone have experience with or can anyone suggest who to go to for my budget build of around 10K ? Goal is a final config that will be safe to around 550 hp....

-Marc

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Look at WaglerCompetition.com. Very nice stuff. Reliable, maybe a little too rich, maybe a little too good for your purpose.

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
Don't forget to build yur transmission. With all those ponies in the engine you will be doing it sooner or later anyway......

·
Registered
864 Posts
Check out swamps diesel

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a lot of contradictory info on AF cams, I would do a lot of reading before spending the money on one.
Whats the controversy ? I haven't seen many negatives, I guess i will have to dig deeper. Everything i read suggests they reduce the forces seen on the crankshaft from the transition of cylinders 1 and 3

·
Registered
582 Posts
Whats the controversy ? I haven't seen many negatives, I guess i will have to dig deeper. Everything i read suggests they reduce the forces seen on the crankshaft from the transition of cylinders 1 and 3
That's the theory, but you will find people with cranks broke in the same spot running AF cams.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Ski1 keep us posted on what you buy.
I thinking about replacing my LLY with a long block and tranny too.

·
Registered
864 Posts
That's the theory, but you will find people with cranks broke in the same spot running AF cams.
Ive heard the same as well

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I went through a bunch of different options, companies, local vs distant machine shops, and decided a long block was still the way to go for me. I narrowed it down to Wagler and Xcalibur Diesel, and in the end, it came down to time, similarities and of course, what I could get done by a reputable shop for the money. In the end I went with Jereme at Xcalibur. I really had to think hard as I wanted to go with Wagler, but it was going to be a couple months after I got them the motor, that I could get it back, but thanks to Austin and company for taking the time to try to help me out. If the truck had not been down for a couple months already at a local diesel shop (whole other story), I might have been more ok with another few months to get back up.

With that, does any one have suggestions for cleaning up valve covers intake manifold, hard fuel lines, etc ? All filthy.......will never buy another East Coast motor again either, lol, dayum do things rust out that way. I like my desert climate......

Also, suggestions for who to clean and test injectors ? Right now, it is exergy or bitterroot. Suggestions for who to test the CP3 ?

Any one in a similar situation take advantage of the motor being out and do additional work because you can and its accessible? I am going to paint most of the covers and manifolds after being cleaned up or sandblasted, but other suggestions and methods are welcomed....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts