Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004.5 LLY Duramax that I am having the tranny rebuilt in. The guy doing the work told me my transfer case is cracked from the drain plug to the seal.
Does anyone know where I could get a transfer case for this? Good price and quick.
I live in western Pennsylvania

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
I still have a core ..Needs rebuilding but it AINT cracked:rof:D
Let me know if ya need it.......75 bucks,U pay shipping!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Had the same problem with my 03 and about 100k miles on it. Took some sand paper and cleaned it up and put some JB weld on the crack. Been running it for 15k miles so far with no problems.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why are these things cracking?

I actually think mine cracked changing the oil? Drain plug had to been put on with a impact gun. It was crazy tight! Or stupid tight take your pick.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well I read somewhere that they actually had an issue with porosity in the casting of it.

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
The pump rubs through the rear housing and will create a pinhole.

Install a transfer case pump rub kit to prevent further issues.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will, but that is not my problem. My case cracked from the drain plug all the way up to the seal. I think it cracked when I changed fluid in it. It was so tight it was stupid tight! You don't need to put a drain plug in with an air gun. It really ticks me off the more I think about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts