Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My local GMC dealer got my '01 Duramax for a water pump replacement yesterday. Today he calls with a sob story about a frozen crank pully bolt. He says they broke a 24" breaker bar, and even tried to crank the engine with a breaker bar to no avail. He's now talking about a "new cranKshaft", which will be thousands of dollars. He's heated the bolt and says he's out of ideas (as is the GM tech he talked to).

Any suggestions to save lots of money?

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
Anyone i have done i used a big 3/4 inch air gun, zings it right off! but yeah they are a tight mofo!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
pb parts blaster. spray it with that and let it sit over night then use a impact

·
Registered
13 Posts
Its not frozen, its called "tight". The torque spec on that bolt is 250 ft lbs.

A 3/4 drive setup is almost mandatory for these. Tell your dealer to quit whining..LOL
:rof LOL.....had to laugh at this post....YOU TELL THEM....you see....that's the nice thing about this forum....you don't just have to be a victim for your service shop.....:rockin

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
Ummm what does the crank pulley have to do with the water pump? Also if they are having problems they should atleast do the crank for free labor and you pay for the crank at most to be fair. Also, IMO heating the bolt would be the WORST thing to do. The oil pan gasket and the front main seal are usually rubber or silicon which would be disfigured if heated. So Id be looking out for oil leaks in the future.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's off. After 4 days of PB soaking and the 3/4" impact wrench, it's done. To answer your question, the threads were standard, not reverse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
good job

did you have to remove the radator to make room for the 3/4 impact wrench i am working on one right now doing water pump job.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i had to change the water pump seal and it took me 2 days to figured every thing out by myself but that was before i found out about this great forum..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts