Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the search but found nothing.

2002 Chevy 2500HD purchased 1 week ago. 40k miles. 6.6l No history. Has been running fine. Filled tank today, was 3/4 full.
Drove home 5 miles. came out several hours later, engine cranks normally but won't fire. Held throttle down and it started. Had slight surging. Very slight. Drove 5 miles, had dinner, came out, crank but no start. Held throttle down and still no start. Checked prime, fuel squirted out of vent when loosened. Cranked and held throttle down, started after about 10 seconds. Very slight surging. Got home and shut off. Immediately tried to start, cranked about 2 seconds and started but not like it usually does. Slight surging again. No engine lights, "service engine soon" light not on. Volt gauge reading little over 14. Dealer said installed new batteries.

Any ideas?

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
I would start with changing your fuel filter. Just because it has fuel when you crack the bleeder doesn't mean its not losing the line pressure. The O ring might have gone bad or pinched.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would start with changing your fuel filter. Just because it has fuel when you crack the bleeder doesn't mean its not losing the line pressure. The O ring might have gone bad or pinched.
Okay, I changed the fuel filter yesterday. It seemed to start a little better and run smoother. About a 50% improvement.
However after sitting overnight, it would not start this morning without holding the throttle down and about 10 seconds of cranking. Any thoughts?

Scott

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Change the filter base it is leaking search for fuel filter base for other similar problems. I had both symptoms you are describing and once the base was replaced both issues went away.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Change the filter base it is leaking search for fuel filter base for other similar problems. I had both symptoms you are describing and once the base was replaced both issues went away.
Thanks, but (no offense) from what I can tell that's a $600+ "hope this fixes it" test. I think it may be time to take it in... I have been told it could be injectors as well... $3500+ Any other suggestions before I take the leap anyone?

·
Registered
172 Posts
just a though my cousin has a 02 2500 but its a gas job it did the same thing your talking about changed the batteries and it ran like new again no probs at all.. but like i said hers is a gas not saying its going to work for yours since its a diesel but its just a idea

·
Registered
412 Posts
are your glow plugs cycling on

·
Registered
2 Posts
Newbie here, having very similar or same problem. Mine is an '01, all stock except for an Edge programmer. It has 119k on it, and had all 8 injectors replaced by Chevy at 107k. I've had it since 111k - about a year and a half - and the truck has always started and run really well for me. Always fired up in first second or so cranking. That is, until a week ago...
Engine would crank over well, would not fire. Tried priming it, still nothing. Read a bunch of these threads and tried a few more times, nothing. It would pump up hard, but felt spongy and seemed like it would not hold pressure for more than a few seconds. When I tried bleeding it at the filter, there was fuel right there - no air and no foamy fuel, just nice clean fuel. So I replaced the fuel filter and the WIF sensor (because it was really beat up and had a broken wire). I tightened th WIF sensor and the filter both only as tight as I could get them by hand through the fender well. Primed it up - about 55 strokes and it seemed to pressurize - nice and hard this time - and it fired right up just like always. Awesome! I drove it that day and had no problems at all. Thought I'd just learned about fuel filter importance.
After sitting for 4 days, it's cranking and not starting - just like last week. What the heck? So I started inspecting things, and all the fuel feed lines look like hell - all cracked and weathered. This truck spent 7 years in Phoenix heat. Still seems to have no air in the filter, so I tried bleeding it through the schrader fuel port, and some air and foam came out. Still wouldn't start, still feels spongy when I try to pressurize it.
So at this point, I'm thinking that maybe those cracked lines are allowing air to enter between the filter and the pump. I'm going to replace them and see what happens.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
are your glow plugs cycling on
Yes, turn on key, wait to start light comes on for a few seconds then goes out. Turn key off and back on, WTS light comes on for a few seconds again... will only start after about 10 seconds of cranking with throttle depressed.

--------------------------

Dealer installed new batteries Blowingcoal01.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, took it into my local Chevy dealer and they diagnosed all the injectors are bad, I don't know how they could all have gone bad at the same time but that's what they said. The injectors are bypassing to much fuel back to the tank I think he said. I bought this truck at a Ford dealer and purchased the Ford premium extended warranty. The warranty company has to send an inspector out to verify the problem. Dealer said that the warranty company will supply the injectors because they can get them cheaper. Dealer says the new injectors are improved and the ones the warranty company will supply are the same ones they would use. Is this true? Are the replacement injectors better then the originals?:confused:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Going through the exact same thing as you, only I started two weeks ago. Been told that only LB7 (our generation duramax) injectors will work, and that "they all suck, try to get the latest style injector". I guess they suck a little less

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello new here too.... I have a 2001 and we are having the same problem. Changed the fuel filter and the problem became intermittent. Additionally it smokes like a sun of a gun. No codes, nothing. Now the past few days would not start at all. Went to dealer fuel filter and started but is not starting like it used to. I was told that it could be my injector pump....will take it in for diagnostics at dealer but was just there and they said my injectors were fine. I am perplexed.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello new here too.... I have a 2001 and we are having the same problem. Changed the fuel filter and the problem became intermittent. Additionally it smokes like a sun of a gun. No codes, nothing. Now the past few days would not start at all. Went to dealer fuel filter and started but is not starting like it used to. I was told that it could be my injector pump....will take it in for diagnostics at dealer but was just there and they said my injectors were fine. I am perplexed.
Miles? Mods? How long have you had it and have you run the VIN at the dealer, they can tell you what work has been done on it if it was done at a dealership. These details will help you get an answer here.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My dealer said my injectors were fine too, but I took it to a busier dealer in the city, they said they were bad. Doesnt hurt to check around.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Miles? Mods? How long have you had it and have you run the VIN at the dealer, they can tell you what work has been done on it if it was done at a dealership. These details will help you get an answer here.

Welcome to the forum.
150K miles, no mods, dealer ran VIN. The injectors have been replaced 2 times under the recall/warranty. Other than that, zilch. Went to two different dealers, both got the same readings on my injectors. There is no surge or idle problem. Runs great once started (thought the cloud of smoke is actually a bit embarassing at times). I think the filter housing is bad but I have only once seen fuel leak and that was at the top at the wire connectors. None since then.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Back to my issue, I stopped by the dealer today to see whats up, they are waiting for the extended warranty company inspector to show up and approve the repair. While I was there I asked to see the results of their test. It was throwing a "P1093, P1094 and a U1000 class II Data malfunction. Needs new fuel injectors per Bulletin 04-06-04-007J"

What is the bulletin say I am wondering, I spaced and didn't ask to see the document.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got an 03 gmc dmax that wont start. white smokes while cranking. i've replaced every sensor that has anything to do with starting. 8 new injectors. new ECM and FICM. even did a compression test. truck has 138,000 miles. Any suggestions???????

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm getting my truck back tomorrow, Wednesday! YEA!!
:drink :rockin :rof

1 - 20 of 29 Posts