Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help

Just a little background on what is going on. I purchased my truck a few months back and now the problems are beginning to roll in. The truck was purchased at 131k.

At 141k the turbo started making a very weird howling sound ... after checking to see if there was any play in the turbo I found out that I needed to get a new one. While the turbo was getting put in I went ahead and did a full EGR delete, intake, and 4inch turbo back exhaust. I also got my tunes done by Kory Willis with a dsp5 switch on the truck.

After getting everything installed I took the truck out for a test drive, got into it twice in my 160 HP tune. (nothing to insane, just wanted to see how it would pull after getting the work done)

Two days later the truck starts to make some what of a knocking sound and the oil pressure is acting funny on the truck. I took the truck back to my mechanic who thought that it was the bottom end of the motor. His suggestion was the bearings on the crankshaft. After doing some research into it and asking around, I think that is what is going on with the truck also. I do not know if I hurt the motor myself or not, either way it does not matter, it has to be fixed.

The motor will have to be pulled out for it to get fixed ... my dilemma that I have now is, do I go ahead and build the motor or do I just fix it and leave the motor itself stock.

What I want out of the truck: reliability ... that is it. I do have some what of a lead foot but I do not really have any wish to do anything else to the truck then what is already done to it performance wise. I want the truck to last for a long time and not have to worry about any parts in it breaking. I am not familiar with this level of a performance build. What is done to the truck is as far as I have ever gone with any of my diesels in the past.

Is it worth the money to build the motor while the crankshaft is getting replaced?

What parts would anyone recommend be replaced?

What parts manufacture should I use?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Do you have at least 10k to put the "right parts" into a built motor?

I'd take baby steps until you figure out what is wrong with the engine in the truck.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've never built a motor but i know that if you want reliability out of your truck 160hp is too much for the stock trans to hold up to for very long.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
For what you're talking about a stock motor will be plenty. Built Duramax engines are not cheap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well when I ordered my tunes I specifically said I did not want a 160 HP tune that the most I wanted was a 120 HP. This was a mess up from the middle man that gets the tunes from Kory. I have no intentions of running more than my 90 HP tune for just daily running around.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ok, just didnt want you to start having trans issues too. Good luck with the fix. :thumb

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
If I were in your shoes I would probably want to do a stock rebuild anyways. If jts coming out regardless there's no use in putting a bandaid on. I would clean everything up really nice and just go over everything thoroughly. If something looked off id replace it. But my rule of thumb is something comes off it gets upgraded has got me in deeper than I wanted to be before. It's easy to do

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I were in your shoes I would probably want to do a stock rebuild anyways. If jts coming out regardless there's no use in putting a bandaid on. I would clean everything up really nice and just go over everything thoroughly. If something looked off id replace it. But my rule of thumb is something comes off it gets upgraded has got me in deeper than I wanted to be before. It's easy to do
Thanks! That is exactly what I was wondering. I appreciate it everyone!

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Maybe LB7/LLY pistons if you want to take a cheap precaution.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts