Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was casually talking with the guy who is building my transmision and we were talking power levels and he said the biggest problem with the duramax is a junk stock turbo. He said they are too restrictive on the exhaust side and lead to high EGT's? I always thought the duramax had a solid stock turbo? he also said the VGT turbos have a lot that limits them to power output. he said often times they install there own turbos they build off of a schweitzer 300 platform and then put there own guts in them and a nasty EFI tune and he says they really rip that way. What are your guys thoughts??:confused:

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
Well I would like to see what he drives. I assume Dodge. Yeah there so bad we can make over 500 hp with stock turbo, stock internals, and a good EFI Live tune. They work just fine if you don't want a million HP.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I was casually talking with the guy who is building my transmision and we were talking power levels and he said the biggest problem with the duramax is a junk stock turbo. He said they are too restrictive on the exhaust side and lead to high EGT's? I always thought the duramax had a solid stock turbo? he also said the VGT turbos have a lot that limits them to power output. he said often times they install there own turbos they build off of a schweitzer 300 platform and then put there own guts in them and a nasty EFI tune and he says they really rip that way. What are your guys thoughts??:confused:
Well when a twin turbo setup arrives and I use my stock turbo....whats wrong with 600-700 hp??????? The stock turbo can get up to 550-600 max effort or just a reliable 500.. Whats so bad and restrictive about that? Have to remember ther is allways something better then stock. Whos doing your trans? And congrats on it now you can have some real fun!!!!!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Well I would like to see what he drives. I assume Dodge. Yeah there so bad we can make over 500 hp with stock turbo, stock internals, and a good EFI Live tune. They work just fine if you don't want a million HP.
You are quick today Eric beating me every post........:programme:drink

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya he works mostly on dodge. how u guess? LOL. I agree with what you said. He tells me after that though he can make my truck "Lethal" with one of his EFI tunes? I think he might be more about the EGT's.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And like u said 500-550 is what i was shooting for anyway. so i think my old girl can handle that. LOL. i guess the only limit to power is your wallet!!

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
Who cares about EGT's ha ha I've seen 1600+ before truck pulling and people think Im crazy. But thats coming from Dodge guys they like theres around 1400 at the highest.

Hey Kroggs Im just on fire today.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
ya he works mostly on dodge. how u guess? LOL. I agree with what you said. He tells me after that though he can make my truck "Lethal" with one of his EFI tunes? I think he might be more about the EGT's.
Lethal as in your engine self destructing......:rof

And like u said 500-550 is what i was shooting for anyway. so i think my old girl can handle that. LOL. i guess the only limit to power is your wallet!!
Good for a high 12 or low13 second passes:rockin

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Who cares about EGT's ha ha I've seen 1600+ before truck pulling and people think Im crazy. But thats coming from Dodge guys they like theres around 1400 at the highest.

Hey Kroggs Im just on fire today.
:rockin:rockin:rockin

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Our turbos are very good for a stock turbo. It is hard to get a quicker spooling turbo that puts out more power it seems your gonna have to sacrfice one or the other. IMO that makes ours pretty damn good for stock, besides that they can push over 500hp I don't really understand where he is coming from unless he is just concerned about EGT's and that is it.
Some of the things he said are true though, a VVT is always gonna be more restrictive on the exhaust side but they make up for it with supper quick spool up.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Also the quick spool up of the vvt also means less fuel down low to get her moving which equals a longer lasting powerplant!!!!!!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok then im gonna stay with what I thought. I also read a thing in diesel power that said by 400 hp a dodge and ford cant flow enough air and need a new turbo. they said the old duramax can blast a lot of air good enough for 500-550 rwhp. I think the ultimate setup for me would be a twin using a stock to spool up with a nice EFI tune. I dont need to be the guy running 1000 rwhp, LOL

·
Registered
20,605 Posts
if he wants to see a junk turbo, tell him to go work on a 6.0. theres a reason we have 3 turbos on the shelf and 4 center housing's beside them. they move fast enough that they dont collect dust either!

·
Registered
461 Posts
1 - 20 of 55 Posts