Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says. I have a 2004 CC DRW 4x4. I went to a fisher dealer to price plows and they tell me I shouldn't put one on this truck. WTF? Anyone out there have any insight as to what I can do to make this work? I dont want to screw my truck up, so if its not possible, so be it. Im pretty sure I have seen a few with plows running around though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I believe it has to do with the extra weight of the engine. They say that the front end wont hold up but i have seen plenty of people do it. My dad has had a 8.5 Blizzard on his 05 cc 2500 duramax with no problems. I think alot of it s do to with the way you plow also.

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
no go man. google search frames cracking where they weld it together to get them long enough for crew cabs. if you want to plow and want a chevy its best not to get a crew cab because the frame can crack at the weld

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
I have a crew cab with a 8'6" Fisher V plow with no issues. Bought it straight from the Fisher dealer which is also the chevy dealer. Almost everybody has plows on their trucks around here. Never heard of a chevy frame cracking from a snow plow. Not saying it never happened but people have a lot to do with malfunctions like that with their trucks. Obvisouly its not a John Deere Payloader but it sure does a great job at plowing. This is the second thread in a week I see about snow plow dealers saying a duramax truck can't handle a plow. There other one was a Boss plow. Not sure if these dealers don't want to sell snow plows or what but its sad that they have dumb excuses like it can't handle a plow. Makes you wonder why Chevy and GMC have snow plow prep packages from the factory. They know people are buying these trucks to work ie: tow, work and play and best of all play. Thats my little rant on Dealers that don't want to sell snow plows.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been reading and reading on this. My other question is the front axle rating. What is the weak link? If I have a salt spreader in the bed, w/ salt. I would rarely need 4wd anyway. This issue is really ticking me off as I thought I had purchased a truck that would be able to do pretty much anything I ask of it, or at least more than a 3/4 ton. Love this truck, but GM has let me down on a few aspects.

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
WTF!? really? I yank my 10k lb camper around w/ my reciever on the front, it squats a tad but I have HD equalizer torsion bars for the camper but i havent broke anything. buy a plow crank the T-bars up and roll with it. if your worried about breaking T-bars I have a spare set i'll sell ya.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Yep, second thread about this in a week or so as said above. Just get the plow. If you don't beat on your $hit it will be fine. I have heard of it happeneding but i'm sure it was due to abuse. My one buddy that has a 07 cab and a half longbed with a 6.0l in it was told that he should always have weight in the bed to help offset the weight distribution.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Fisher bases their decision off the front axle weight rating with a full cab of like 200lb people hence the single cabs being able to handle a bigger plow. the weight of the duramax on the front axle leaves only a couple hundred pounds available according to fisher's guidelines... if you had a crew cab gasser they let u put an XLS on it but a 7'6" on a duramax. check fisher's application guide on their site.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Would u really want to put your plow out in front of a dmax and say it will stand up. I dont think it is the truck must be the power behind the blade.

My story I will tell it like I want to.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
533 Posts
Would u really want to put your plow out in front of a dmax and say it will stand up. I dont think it is the truck must be the power behind the blade.

My story I will tell it like I want to.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Posting from a phone automatically gives some allowances to grammar and sentence composition, but I've got to say-- I work with foreign customers with HORRIBLE English on a daily basis, and I couldn't figure out what you're trying to tell the class.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Posting from a phone automatically gives some allowances to grammar and sentence composition, but I've got to say-- I work with foreign customers with HORRIBLE English on a daily basis, and I couldn't figure out what you're trying to tell the class.
X2

Sent from my iPhone

·
the lawn man
1,450 Posts
No worries dude i have run a 9'6 western v for 3 years on the front of my dually with either a vbox or a large tailgate salter on the back and i have no frame cracks

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
lol too funny

1 - 16 of 16 Posts