Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Henry, that brought back a lot of memories for me, I was inside when the hail started and I watched it hit my pool in the back yard and did not even think about the truck until the storm stopped and my wife came inside and said I might need to go check out our trucks!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've done a few dozen roof skins. The newest truck I have done is on a 2015 ram 3500 that rolled in the snow. So similarly it was wet inside. I don't see any issue with the repair as long as a good shop does the work. I would just make sure they remove all the seats, headliner, trim and carpet. So they can dry good. Then just inspect for damage. As long as they aren't wet for days, I don't see much of a issue with water damage.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I've done a few dozen roof skins. The newest truck I have done is on a 2015 ram 3500 that rolled in the snow. So similarly it was wet inside. I don't see any issue with the repair as long as a good shop does the work. I would just make sure they remove all the seats, headliner, trim and carpet. So they can dry good. Then just inspect for damage. As long as they aren't wet for days, I don't see much of a issue with water damage.
Well it happened this past Wednesday. Adjuster isn't coming until Monday. At the very least that's 5 days wet. Probably 6-8 before they start - mold starts setting in after only a few days.

I'm planning on meeting with adjuster after he's met with shop to make my demands. New carpeting, harnesses etc.

And a thorough inspection of the frame to make sure it didn't bend.

Also, since there is damage above the doors I wasn't bed removed so that entire cab can be painted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
258 Posts
I could almost guarantee no frame damage is done. The cab mounts, suspension, and tires soaked up the impact could push for a frame measure to check. They should 100 percent pull the bed. It also looks like the outer roof rail is smashed pretty bad and that will need to be replaced. Doing so they should do full clear on the back panel, roof rail, and rockers. Some will try to blend the clear and avoid the rockers but can be seen later down the road.

If you have gap insurance you could push and try to total it. I would try to explain how there is tons of electronic components that have now been exposed to moisture that they would be liable if they fail down the line. The seats and carpet being wet for so long have the possibility of mold and you don't want to take the chance. The side curtain airbags could have gotten wet compromising them.

It could probably have a huge salvage value like in the range 20 to 30 thousand. The bid would get added to this to determine for a total loss. s
So a high bid could make it close to a total loss.

Just throwing some things out there. If you have any questions about the repair or the estimate they give you, just hit me up. I could give you an idea about the quality of repair.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I could almost guarantee no frame damage is done. The cab mounts, suspension, and tires soaked up the impact could push for a frame measure to check. They should 100 percent pull the bed. It also looks like the outer roof rail is smashed pretty bad and that will need to be replaced. Doing so they should do full clear on the back panel, roof rail, and rockers. Some will try to blend the clear and avoid the rockers but can be seen later down the road.

If you have gap insurance you could push and try to total it. I would try to explain how there is tons of electronic components that have now been exposed to moisture that they would be liable if they fail down the line. The seats and carpet being wet for so long have the possibility of mold and you don't want to take the chance. The side curtain airbags could have gotten wet compromising them.

It could probably have a huge salvage value like in the range 20 to 30 thousand. The bid would get added to this to determine for a total loss. s
So a high bid could make it close to a total loss.

Just throwing some things out there. If you have any questions about the repair or the estimate they give you, just hit me up. I could give you an idea about the quality of repair.
Great suggestions. I've made a list for the adjuster whose coming on Monday and have added your points.

I'll post up their estimate when I get it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
They can be in the range of 70 to even 95 percent. I have seen unexpected total losses though. It depends on a lot of how they write up the interior.

My brother slide his 09 370z worth about 15000 into a curb and set off the side curtain and seat airbag. It damaged the bumper, both left side wheels, both air bags, head liner, seat cover and lower control arm and they totaled it. Parts were expensive but I never thought it would total.

·
Registered
19,141 Posts
They can be in the range of 70 to even 95 percent. I have seen unexpected total losses though. It depends on a lot of how they write up the interior.

My brother slide his 09 370z worth about 15000 into a curb and set off the side curtain and seat airbag. It damaged the bumper, both left side wheels, both air bags, head liner, seat cover and lower control arm and they totaled it. Parts were expensive but I never thought it would total.
It’s crazy how the system works

Once you get into airbags and things the estimates skyrocket.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I am pretty confident that total loss is considered 80% now by most insurance companies.

I don’t see you getting anywhere close to that.
You haven't seen my list of items that have to deal with. Besides, I think the repair shop will be interested in the salvage as they could fix and flip really easily

·
Registered
19,141 Posts
You haven't seen my list of items that have to deal with. Besides, I think the repair shop will be interested in the salvage as they could fix and flip really easily

When is the adjuster coming out?

When is the body shop tearing into it?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
When is the adjuster coming out?

When is the body shop tearing into it?
Adjuster is supposed to be there today and after he writes it up he's supposed to meet me to go over everything before I decide what to do.

Depending on what it gets written up at I'll decide on repair vs replacing. If repair+ salvage gets me close to replacement, that's what I'll do.

If I'm getting it repaired though, the timeline will very much be dependent on parts availability.

I can easily see this dragging out for a month or more.

And of course were expecting snow again today.

·
Registered
19,141 Posts
Adjuster is supposed to be there today and after he writes it up he's supposed to meet me to go over everything before I decide what to do.

Depending on what it gets written up at I'll decide on repair vs replacing. If repair+ salvage gets me close to replacement, that's what I'll do.

If I'm getting it repaired though, the timeline will very much be dependent on parts availability.

I can easily see this dragging out for a month or more.

And of course were expecting snow again today.

That timeline is realistic imo. Especially since it’s newer and needs interior pieces b

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you are in a rental check on how long you can be in it. Most insurances will only pay for 30 days.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
If you are in a rental check on how long you can be in it. Most insurances will only pay for 30 days.
I've got 30 days at $30, so $900 -- I think that they care about the $$ more than the days and if I can get a less expensive care -- great.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
So the adjuster came, wrote up a preliminary estimate but wants the shop to tear apart the interior to make sure that the car is not beyond repair (corrosion etc). So, he's allowing 6 hours labor to rip open the interior to dry and inspect everything and expects to write up additional.

Autobody guy already told the adjuster that ventilated seats have to be replaced when gotten this wet -- and that's not on the estimate yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
Least you are prepared on the rental. Hopefully everything will go good with everything. I'm sure it's a stressful process.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Least you are prepared on the rental. Hopefully everything will go good with everything. I'm sure it's a stressful process.
It's beyond stressful, every time I take another look in the truck I see more :crying:

21 - 38 of 38 Posts