Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a cure for the typerwriter tick???Its driving me fuckin nuts!Synthetics?Im at 110,000.Thanks

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
synthetics will prob help alot....other than that, maybe adjust the lash.

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
Best way to fix it is get a loud exhaust or turn up the radio LOL.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea

I dont want to break the bank on synthetics.Whats a decently priced synthetic oil?Is it ok to run with higher mileage?

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
the good thing about synthetics is you can get extended drain intervals.

Granted you will pay about the same over that time, but its all up front. But you don't have to spend time changing the oil.

Oil brands are dime a dozen....amsoil, royal purple, schaeffers, mobil.....many many more.

My only recommendation is to do oil analysis to determine if the oil is good or bad...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Go with synthetic and dual bypass oil filter, only need to change oil once a year.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Check into it, it filters down to 2microns and run full synthetic. Full syn doesn't break down like convent. Oil, i've used FS2500's bypass oil filter on big rigs for years. Typicaly oil change on a big rig is 15k. But what do I know , I was only a diesel mechanic for 20 years.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
how much do you drive ayear then?

and to the OP cant get rid of typewritter tick. its just there.
honestly idk if i have ever heard it lol

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Is there a cure for the typerwriter tick???Its driving me fuckin nuts!Synthetics?Im at 110,000.Thanks
No. Not unless you can figure out how to stop bubbles from forming in the oil or engineer a different block material that doesnt amplify the sound of them popping/crackling on the bearings.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Amsoil is a 1 year/25k synthetic. Whatever comes first

·
Registered
101 Posts
15k to 18k, the bypass oil fillter change is recommended 25k or every year. There's a few duramax out there with over 300k on the same oil but change filters once a year as well as lab test to check the oil. My point is any bypass oil system with full synthetic reduces clatter and increases engine life. i change my filter and oil every year and the oil is not sooted up like non-bypas oil with a third on the milage is.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
I would be very nervous running my $12,000 engine for 25,000 miles before an oil change. Just because some engineer salesperson said I could-?? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
I would be very nervous running my $12,000 engine for 25,000 miles before an oil change. Just because some engineer salesperson said I could-?? :rolleyes:
or 300,000. i change mine every 6k because it makes me feel comfortable about saving my engine.

·
Registered
101 Posts
agree, change at the mileage that makes you comfortable.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
I would like to know where you find a new duramax for $12,000

I cahnge mine every 6000miles even with Amsoil. Cheap maintanence

·
it stinks and whistles :)
5,350 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I just changed my oil this weekend and swapped from Mobil Delvac to Delo. I can tell a huge difference in the idle noise. I used to have a very distinct tick on the passenger side, now it's almost completely gone.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
It has nothing to do with oil or valvetrain. It is the pilot injection making the ticking sound. Pilot inj is what makes these motors quieter. It is a small inj pulse right before the big one. It can sometimes be tuned out with EFI Live.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts