Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just installing a Curt 15703 class 5 hitch on my 2003 because the stock one was bending. It looks very heavy duty but there are a few issues that anyone else looking at one should know about. First it installs with the forward bolts through a large hole in the frame, not a bolt hole. They supplied a carriage bolt spacer to cover the hole but it is not long enough on one side to reach past the edge of the frame hole. This spacer also is not large enough to accommodate the mounting hardware. I had to use the middle carriage bolt spacer which is the right size for the hardware, to install the forward bolts. The issue with this is that the spacer intended for the middle is even smaller than the original one. I don't think this is a huge issue because the original one didn't fit any better. When you do this you will also have to re-use the original hardware for the middle bolts. Also the top of the receiver tube sits 3" below the bumper, it looks like the hitch is for the wrong truck. This is a little annoying when the install video on Curts website shows the hitch cleanly tucked up under the bumper, apparently they used a different hitch for the video.

All in all I wish I had purchased a different hitch. There are a lot of fitment issues with this one, especially for the price at nearly $500.

Poorly fitting rear spacer:

Hitch installed 3" below factory bumper:

Image of hitch from Curts video, notice how it is flush with the bumper:

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Upon further inspection the hitch in the video is a Curt 15702. Maybe a disclaimer like "if you want this hitch which will actually fit your truck then here is the part number, oh by the way we don't make it anymore apparently" would have been nice. Instead they just voiced over a video of something else and basically lied about what you're getting. Normally I wouldn't care this much, but not only does this thing look absolutely ridiculous, I might need to buy new drops.

· Registered
323 Posts
I would contact Curt directly with your photos and concerns, and see what remedy (if any) they offer. They have a pretty decent customer service / tech line... I had to call once about buying replacement chains for the round bars on my weight distribution hitch.

· Registered
1,256 Posts
I used the Curt 15302 Class 5 xtra heavy duty and that thing went in slick on my 04. Was way beefier than the stocker and cheaper (stock one bent when i was rear ended). Sounds like you got the wrong one as you stated. Yea give Curt a call. Some businesses appreciate the feedback and usually a big company like that will make it right if they can (within reason).

· Registered
2003 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Banks Super Scoop, Banks Rear Dif Cover, Mechman 320A alternator, S&B fuel tank
570 Posts
I'd try and take a picture from the exact same distance and angle and send it to Curt with the screen shot from the video. That ought to make the difference very clear to them.

Thanks for the warning though, I was looking at these, think I'll hold off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.