Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys i figured I would do a little write up on the bumper i just got done building for my rig. This is my first write up and first bumper so bear with me here...

Over the last year of owning my pickup I have known that I wanted to put a different set of bumpers on it. After looking around at some of the available aftermarket bumpers and and finding out how much they cost I decided the best option was to build my own. I began to save pictures on my phone anytime I would see a bumper with a specific style or design that I liked (either online or in person). I spent the last few months looking at all the pictures I have gathered and slowly came up with a unique design in my head that used subtle qualities from various bumpers and a few of my own ideas.

Every so often I would sketch out my Ideas so I could see them on paper (I have no artistic ability, but I do know how to operate a ruler and a pencil :thumb ). Last week my boss gave me my bonus and told me to take two weeks off. At that point I knew exactly what I was going to spend some of my free time on. So i hopped online and ordered two sets of Rigid Industries Dually lights (one set of spots and one set of floods). I then called around to price metal from a few local shops and a large supplier in Denver.

Materials ($265):
> 4'x8' Sheet of 3/16"
> 24' of 2"x2"x3/16" Square tubing
> 16' of 2"x3/16" Flat Strap

Tools I used:
> Lincoln wire feed welder
> Hypertherm plazma cutter
> Dewalt angle grinder
- Cut off wheels
- Grinding Disks
- Napa brand flap disks (60 grit)
> Assorted rulers
> Dry-wall t-square
> Speed square
> Tri-square
> Drill press
> Tape measure
> Chalk pen
> Grizzly metal band saw
> Various vicegrips
> 4' Level
> Assorted Magnets
> SAE and Metric wrench sets

Naturally I began by removing my stock bumper.

Then I began fabricating some mounts as a starting point. The holes I used for the mounts were from the stock tow hooks in the frame and the top bumper bolt hole.

Next I moved onto the upper square tubing frame.

Next step was cutting and tacking all of the sheet metal in place

Then came the time to decide if i wanted to do some sort of full face grille guard or a pre-runner bar. I ended up deciding on a partial grill guard that followed the outer line of the grille.

After that point it was time to weld everything solid and add my d-ring mounts that I got from a local shop.

Sorry for the lack of pictures during the build process.

All in all I am very pleased with the final outcome! Naturally it is not perfect but it is close enough for the girls I run around with. :rolleyes: I took my time and made sure everything was as level and straight as i could get it. But unfortunately when working with metal and heat things like to move a little here and there. I mitigated the effects of heat warp the best i would by hard tacking everything in multiple places before beginning the final welding steps.

Currently the bumper is at the powder coaters, I originally wanted to color match it to my pickup but due to the cost and amount of time required to special order the powder, I ended up going with a textured semi-gloss black.

Any and all comments, questions, and concerns are welcome (I am not easily offended).

·
Registered
598 Posts
Nice job. I just bought material yesterday to build a partial grille guard and driving light mount. I have a pair of Cepeck lights that really reach out there. I hope it turns out as good looking as your bumper

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cant wait to see it with the lights in it and painted! going to be badass!
I cant wait either! Ill be sure to post pics as soon as I get it back and installed next week!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I built my own rear bumper ill try to post a pic here in case others want to see. the only thing id change is to use at least 1/4" for the mounts. I used 3/8' for my rear bumper mounts and welded the hell out of them, so far its held up to about a 1500 lb tongue weight and a 14000 lb trailer. im pleased with it. ive seen several like it that were manufactured but they all look cheap, ive been offered 600 to build another like it but i don't want anyone with one like it:p

·
Coffee addict
1,831 Posts
Wow!! Impressive!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I built my own rear bumper ill try to post a pic here in case others want to see. the only thing id change is to use at least 1/4" for the mounts. I used 3/8' for my rear bumper mounts and welded the hell out of them, so far its held up to about a 1500 lb tongue weight and a 14000 lb trailer. im pleased with it. ive seen several like it that were manufactured but they all look cheap, ive been offered 600 to build another like it but i don't want anyone with one like it:p
I agree, I think most other bumpers are made of 10 gage. I tried to design my mounts so they would hopefully give a little before the frame bends, but not pull apart if I ever need to really yank on the d-rings.

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Looks good!!!!

Sent from my SPH-D710

·
Confidence Antler
1,997 Posts
Great work! I like how you went your own direction rather than copying all the others out there!

It's by far the best one I've seen for the Chevys :thumb

·
Registered
139 Posts
I really like it. Nice job!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow!! Impressive!
Thanks man!

Looks good!!!!
Thanks!

Great work! I like how you went your own direction rather than copying all the others out there!

It's by far the best one I've seen for the Chevys
Thanks that's what I was going for! I like my rig to be a little unique :drink

·
Registered
120 Posts
Nice looking bumper man, thing looks great!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Looks awesome man soul love to do that someday, but have little to no experience welding. Awesome to have one of a kind! Good job!

·
Registered
373 Posts
That looks awesome man! Good work. It looks like something that came right outta transformers.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
346 Posts
That bumper is badass, never liked the look of grill guards or anything like that, but your bumper has changed my mind. Looking forward to see it all painted and set up.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Looks good. the grill guard really makes it for me.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the kind words guys! I got word today that the powder coater has it done, now just waiting on them to get my buddies tool box done tomorrow so we can pick them both up at he same time.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well i got the bumper back from the powder coater yesterday but by the time i had it on and the lights wired in it was dark outside so i didn't get any pictures until today

The final product (minus a few light bars that will come later on:thumb)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts