Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to share a great experience I had this weekend with a small town Chevy dealer ….

We were just finishing up a great week of trout fishing at a southern MO state park and was heading home pulling our trailer. We got to Monett, MO where I came to an intersection. As I slowed the truck to make the stop at the light it started to stutter and then died. After a couple of attempts I was not able to get it started. I opened the hood and instantly smelled diesel and then saw it pouring out of the bottom of the fuel filter. I tried to prime the filter but as I increased the pressure the more fuel came out. I finally got enough pressure to get it started and got through the intersection and again it died but this time I was able to coast into a convenient store parking lot. I determined that the fuel was coming from the water sensor but I had no spare filter and obviously no spare sensor. I got directions to a local auto parts store where they stocked the filter but no sensor. I then got directions to the local Chevy dealer. Once I got there I found that the parts/service dept was closed. The sales manager was sympathetic to my situation but indicated he didn’t know anything about the computer system and probably wouldn’t be able to find the parts. He made a couple of calls to other regional dealers but they were all closed. We talked for a bit and I explained that I was from the KC area and was heading home.

I’m sorry for the long narrative to this point but you need to understand the situation …. here is the real information. The sales manager then called their head mechanic at home and talked to him for a few minutes and after hanging up he told me that Dave (the mechanic) would meet me at my truck and take a look at it. When I got back to the truck he was already there and I showed him where it was leaking. He pulled the filter off and we found a large crack in the sensor. We took the filter back to the shop where he looked the part up … the closest one was in Paola, KS which was about 150 miles away. I must has shown some sign of frustration as he went to talked with the guys in the front. After a few minutes the sales manager came out and informed me they were going to take the sensor off a new truck. To finish this long story, the mechanic took the sensor from one of the new trucks on the lot, went back to my truck, installed it and waited to ensure that all was ok. I was back on the road within about an hour and a half. I would never have received this type of service form a dealer here in KC.

Thanks to Team Chevy in Monett, MO and to Dave …..

Steven

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts