Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put on the lift 2 weeks ago so I went under there to double check everything and there was grease all over the lower control arm. Looked closer and saw boot was cracked. So do I have to get a new cv shaft? They don't sell just the boot correct?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I imagine this is something I need to fix right away right?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where you think i should go to get it? Like Napa?

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
You can buy just the boot but it's rarely worth the screwing around to deal with them considering a CV from NAPA runs right around $80 and has a warranty.

Swapping a CV takes about 20 minutes and you don't have to pack anything with grease.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Amazon.com: Cardone Select 66-1325 New CV Axle (Drive Axle): Automotive

Just got this one in my truck last week.
Big axle nut comes off (36mm socket and a strong back) and 6 bolts on the flange end, remove the sway bar link and slide it out the bottom. New one goes in the reverse order, just make sure the splines in the hub are clean and slide freely or you'll driver yourself nuts trying to get the new one to go in.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks a lot guys ordered a new shaft up and install should be easy i just had the nut off like 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
846 Posts
You are able to get a boot kit from the Dealer with your VIN. As stated tho you do need a special tool for the clamps. If you have the tool and the time the boot kit is the cheaper way to go. If you want easier go with the shaft as your purchased.

Both ways are possible. If it has been cracked for a long time then a new shaft is the best because you never know what could have gotten in the open boot.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Sorry missed the LML bit, mine is an LMM. The shaft I linked won't fit your truck.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.