Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently got stuck on top of a snow covered mountain overnight due to a broken cv axle.anyone know of a good replacement axle?beefier than stock or better with extreme cv angles?(my suspension was drooped and i have lift keys so the cv angle was extreme)thanks guys ,need 4wd back asap hence the 911 forum...oh and i do have a kingpin dana 60 layin around if theres an "easy"install kit somewhere?

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
Cognito otherwise buy one from a autoparts store. The ones I get are Cardine. $100 and a 1 year warrenty. So far all but the first one have been free.

There is no easy Dana 60 swap unless you have a 12" lift or more.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Doesn't anyone build a stronger than stock CV for our rigs?
Or is that a build yourself product? I see lots of extreme travel CV's but nothing vehicle specific.

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
Only cognito and you pay a pretty penny.

Its not a DIY project.

You dont need stronger ones just a straight CV angle. There are 1,000hp trucks holding together CVs because the know how to set up and drive their trucks.

Our CVs do not allow any travel. On one of my pulls I ws lazy and didnt let the T bars All the way down . My shafts came up to about a 5* angle and 10' off the line the shaft snapped. I barely had any power going to it too.

Heres a vid.

YouTube - Dieselholic Pull In Baraboo

BTW you only need a stronger passener side halfshaft because that is the one that breaks.:D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i realize that when the cv's are at bad angles they are weak, unfortunately theres not much for lift kits OVER 6" that relocate (drop) the front suspension.so to barely fit what i consider not a huge tire (37")you need to go higher(I used lift keys) and then you sacrifice cv angle.so are cognito axles just beefier parts or can they bend a few more degrees than o.e.m axles?and why would just passenger side only break?

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
I do not know much about their shafts. I know the shafts and joints seem to hold up its just the cast piece that bolts to the extension tube.

The pass side just does. I dont know why but it is the side that breaks 90% of the time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Cognito makes lifts that drop the whole differential down to avoid severe CV angles, but I doubt you would want take out your current lift and put another one in unless you have lots of money layin around...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts