Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When ever I hit a bump I hear a clink coming from right under my feet. I've climbed under and shook everything and pushed up and down on the bumper and the only thing that moved was my cv axle. I checked sway bar links, brakes, ect.. The shaft just wiggles a bit but at high speed I think it'd be enough to make a loud clink. The boots aren't torn but it does look like the grease seeped out, so I was wondering if I could just loosen the boots and use a grease gun to regrease them and then tighten the boots more so it won't deep out again? I thought I read somewhere on here someone did that. Thanks for the replies in advance! :drink

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
you check your end links? they can break and make noise over bumps. ive also heard that the UCA can wear on the bolt over time and develop some slack but i havent seen that personally.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Probably not the problem. But check the stub shaft on the drivers side where it bolts to the cv shaft and make sure theres no play there. Reason I say this is I had a clunk checked that shaft sure enough I could move it up and down 1/8in. What happened was the c clip broke that held the shaft in and it bounced around tore up the carrier and finally tore up that shaft.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only thing that moved was the cv shaft. I checked the links and I don't think the stub shaft moved but I'll check when I get home

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you take the clamp off the boot and simply grease the joint then put the boot back on? The boot ISNT torn at all. I know lifts are bad for Cv's but it shouldn't be bad yet?

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
A new CV shaft is $60. Replace it and be done.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
^^^ unless you buy the ones from GM, which are apparently platinum plated and blessed by a monk on top a mountain cuz they are like 600$ each.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
When ever I hit a bump I hear a clink coming from right under my feet. I've climbed under and shook everything and pushed up and down on the bumper and the only thing that moved was my cv axle. I checked sway bar links, brakes, ect.. The shaft just wiggles a bit but at high speed I think it'd be enough to make a loud clink. The boots aren't torn but it does look like the grease seeped out, so I was wondering if I could just loosen the boots and use a grease gun to regrease them and then tighten the boots more so it won't deep out again? I thought I read somewhere on here someone did that. Thanks for the replies in advance! :drink
I have the same noise and am wondering if you ever found the cause of your issue?

·
Registered
2016 Chevy duramax LML
3 Posts
Probably not the problem. But check the stub shaft on the drivers side where it bolts to the cv shaft and make sure theres no play there. Reason I say this is I had a clunk checked that shaft sure enough I could move it up and down 1/8in. What happened was the c clip broke that held the shaft in and it bounced around tore up the carrier and finally tore up that shaft.
i know this post is extremely old but thought I’d give it a try. Would this cause differential fluid to leak?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.