Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought my truck on march 5 and right away noticed it was smoking at idle but thought it was from the superchips that was on it and the previous owner assured me it had never done it with him. it has 150kkk on it and he let it sit a month before i bought it. i took it to the local (crappy) chevy dealer to get the injectors checked and much to my dismay the warranty ran out on the 8 and i took it in on the 10th!! they said they wouldnt cover but they would check it out for me and charge 106.00 for labor. well i dont think they did a damn thing. the paper work said they tsted the pulse rates and fuel pressure and no problems exists, but neither the "billy bob" service tech nor the woman whom i dropped it off to could tell me why its smoking.... i called the actual chevy hotline and got the same respone, im fuc#@d!!

my question is should i change my fuel filter first , even though the previous owner just had the truck serviced before i bought it, or since it sat for a month maybe the seals for the injectors bad? looks like im gonna have to learn how to r/r injectors on my truck wich is fine with me and im sure i can handle it, b ut i was hoping to get an opinion from some of you that have had the smoking problem before

:help:help:help:help:help:help:help:help:help

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just because he said that he had the truck service does not mean that the fuel filter was changed. When someone tells me it was just service it usually means oil and filter. Change your fuel filter first. Oh, go back to the dealer and ask to see the test results. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
A- White,Blue or Black smoke? B- How does your air filter look? If its a K&N, toss it and put in a stocker. C- How old is your oil? At 4500 on rotella, Mine would start to smoke getting on it. Does oil smell like fuel? D- checking injectors is no big task. Just because he did it in a short period of time doesn't mean he didn't do anything. All that is involved is warm eng to operating temp. hook scanner. scrole down to see what they're at. Record info. Done. Its a bigger feat checking your email.

·
Registered
686 Posts
yup u can buy the new edge cs and it tells u ur injector rates in there to , i think ..

clean or replace ur oil , oil filter , air filter , fuel filter , take out the power chip and see what it does then ,

tell us how much smoke and what color, would be a huge help...

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i checked my oil and it is still has the yellowish tint to it and not black like oil that needs to be changed. ihave a k&n and i cleaned and re oiled it. i checked the truck with and without the programer and it still smokes.

its def not black smoke. im almost certian its white smoke and it really does it in the morning when its cold (outside), but still does it in the warmer part of the day.

the truck runs perfect and i dont see any while im moving but at idle example, at the red light, i can see it out of my mirror and when the wind is right i can see it blowing by the window.

i understand that the injectors may have tested good but what about the seals may be leaking? and why couldnt he give me an explanation....

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
Oil in the air filter is bad for the turbo you gummed up your MAF sensor take it out and clean it and get rid of the K&N.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Get rid of K&N filter. Get a can of MAF cleaner.

·
Registered
686 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Its a spray cleaner. Ask at your local parts dealer. Different regions have different brands.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i am going through the same thing at this time. Change your fuel filter and air filter and then run the truck alittle to see if anything changes. After that get it in to the dealership. you might be able to get something under warranty etc. GM changed their warranty around on the LB7 injectors i thought it went to 7 year 200,000 miles.
I had a bad injector on mine, but now its back in the shop again, issue is back. they are thinking more injectors and or injection pump. its all under that 7 year warranty though.

if you dont chnage th filter the dealer ship might want you to pay to change it as part of the service. its a 10 min job, very easy to do.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
*Remember* 7yrs from production date, not original sale.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah that screwed me by two days

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
sounds like injectors, exact same thing mine did, other then being really annoying and embarrassing,(atleast to me), as long as they dont dump diesel into your crank case you'll be fine, you can drive it as is just watch the oil level,

·
Registered
110 Posts
my trucks embarassing, smokes non stop.....just had the tsb done in jan and nothing, everything checked out fine. smokes non friggen stop, white, it sucks. I dont know what to do either, I guess just drive it and let everyones opinions of diesels stay the same.....too smokey! someone told me about running amsoil bg244? but its like 100 bucks for 2 quarts. Im at a loss as well.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
change your injectors, just the injectors isnt that hard, they may test fine in the truck but the nozzles may be bad, or you just got lucky and it tested good in the truck,

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Well, before dropping over 2g on injectors I would try what I suggested. There's a few things to test before also.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If injectors are bad I was told about a kit from Pensacola diesel. It has everything needed including glow plugs. It is 1440.00. Is this a good kit. The injectors are reman. I looked it up and it seems to be a dern good kit, any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
I've heard more bad than good about pensicola. These are a weak link to our motors and there's an age old proverb-"You get what you pay for." I went with Gm's from partszoneonline. $200 ea.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For instance???

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.