Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually 2wd 6 speed tap fly
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if you guys can help but maybe if i explain whats going on, someone might know. I did a scan but only get the generic P0700 code. Sometimes when I put it in drive, it stays in 1st gear only. Then I either do the key cycle thing or clear dtc's and it will shift normal but as I'm driving, if I'm in 5th, it'll stay in 5th. Even after I put it back in park. Sometimes after putting in gear, it'll start right off in 3rd gear. I always thought limp mode was mainly 3rd gear but she shifts hard into 5th from 4th(did this a few times)and getting a THUMP.

I haven't driven it much at all. I'll pull off the road, do the key thing. shifts great up to 5th and sometimes 6th but if i slow down, it'll get stuck in either 3rd or 5th.

This is a replacement tranny from a truck with 70k miles and worked awesome until my son and I had to replace the cp3 pump. That's when it started. I'll take her to a shop to get the codes read but figured I'd just throw this out there in case one of the experts have seen this before. My son broke the latch on one side that holds the connector to the tcm. We used zip ties just to see if it fixed it but no dice. I have to buy a new plastic latch lever that locks the connector down on the tcm.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Go to a parts store, such as O'Reillys, that has good scanners and they will scan your truck for you for free. Write down all the DTC's in the order presented and post them back here.

Reactions: DanDif518

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go to a parts store, such as O'Reillys, that has good scanners and they will scan your truck for you for free. Write down all the DTC's in the order presented and post them back here.
Will do.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to mention. My son has a Launch Millennium Master scan tool he bought from a snap on truck or matco. Not sure which. It reads live data and goes pretty far in depth but not sure why it doesn;t give me any more tranny codes. should this one give more codes? maybe i'm doing something wrong with it

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's the report. Guess his reader works. This has to be bs. Just put this tranny in.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What year and model truck? Seems more like you have a wiring problem.
2006 silverado 3500 2 wheel drive dually lbz 6 speed tranny

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Make sure you don't have transmission fluid in your electrical connection, and it could be you TCC went bad. Since it's registering some things off and on at the same time. And it's registering 4 wheel drive but you say yours is 2 wheel drive.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Make sure you don't have transmission fluid in your electrical connection, and it could be you TCC went bad. Since it's registering some things off and on at the same time. And it's registering 4 wheel drive but you say yours is 2 wheel drive.
excellent point thank you! yeah found that odd that it says it has 4wd anything. its 2wd lol. I will get under it tomorrow and use electrical contact cleaning spray on anything electrical. If its a tcm, i think you have to get them programmed? I doubt they're plug n play

1 - 9 of 9 Posts