Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Man I am going to check mine tomorrow. If that is it it would be great. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Man im just stumped maybe im not using the voltmeter right but im sure i am....i set it in COM for the neg and the one for measuring mA. switch to DCmA where the meter reads 0.00 and thats it...
this voltmeter is 200mA max so could it be maxin out right away so i wouldnt know??
To test amp draws with a VOM you need to have the meter in line with the system. So you would have to disconnect one of the wires or battery cables depending on where you are testing at and put one lead on the wire and the other lead were you disconnected the wire from. That is why you are getting no reading. The only way to test without putting a meter in line is to get a clamp on amp meter that reads DC current.

·
Registered
586 Posts
i disconnected both negative terminals from the batts. then hooked pos to the red lead on voltmeter that says 200mA MAX and then neg battery cable to the COM
Take the red lead and connect to negative post and the black lead to the negative battery cable, you don't have any voltage the way you are connecting it now. So you will not get any current draw. Also you if you are still not getting a reading, check the fuses in the meter, they may be bad.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
these batts were at 10Volts when i turned the truck on tonigt... and the lift pump bogged a bit before turnin over the truck.... third the batts are charged i think now cause the voltmeter on truck display is reading 14 now instead of 10 as its runnin outside as we speak so alternator must be working....
Slow down. Do you realize that there is a significant delay after start before the alternator kicks in? :drink

·
Word Up
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So ive tried testing and do not have a draw... What else can I do??? I can't just keep having these batts going dead after leaving it for a few days... If there's no draw what does this rule out and what is the next step I should take to try and identify my problem. The voltmeter I used was a brand new fluke so the fuses are be good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think that may have fixed it. I went in an found that it was drawing all the time while the truck was off I unplugged it and will see if that fixs the problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well the test will be in the morning if everything is reset again and I have a voltage fault on my banks. But I looked at the wiring on my aftermarket steering controls and metered it the power in wire was hot at 3 volts withthe truck off so I disconnected it and I hope that solves the problem.

·
Word Up
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
yeah that should not be hot when off from what ive been reading, that power wire is an acc power... I just talked to one of the mechanics and he said to go for a ride get the batts charged then when i park it disconnect the alternator from the back and leave it for a few days then see if the batts are goin low

·
Registered
21 Posts
What would be the problem if that would fix it? Mine does it in a few hours like about 10 hours. I am guessing. I will know more in the morning or maybe late tonight.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.