Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.
My 03 Duramax is making this weird sucking or hissing sound coming from the engine compartment. It actually sounds like it's behind the dash. It starts making this sound as the turbo begins to spool up, even under light acceleration. At the same time humungous amounts of black smoke bellow from the exhaust. I'm not noticing a loss in power, although there may be, but it still can honk along ..... just can't see behind me! What do you think is happening?? My reaction to it was a turbo situation of some sort .... waste gate??? Anyhow, if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

LesF

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The intake is intact. So I think we are ok there. Any other ideas?? What controls the waste gate? Is it excess pressure?? And what keeps it closed?? I'm thinking along those lines right now. Since I'm not a turbo expert, some direction would be appreciated.

Thanks for your comments Towmaster.

Les

·
Registered
262 Posts
mine did the same thing it was the wastegate spring was not fitted right so it was letting all the boost out and was not using the turbo properly

1 - 4 of 4 Posts