Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Im in need of some help with a replacement bulb. Its for the head light selector switch area. I took it apart and there is a stem with a bulb on the end with a rubber blue cap on the bulb. The guy at the auto parts store says maybe I can just pull the bulb out and replace it? I wanted to ask if anyone knows what
size (watt) I need so it matches the rest of the dash. Or do I have to by a new stem with bulb from GM. Going out to remove the switch again. Any help would be appreciated. It starting to bug me, thanks.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
twist the bulb out pull the bulb out of the socket and there should be a bulb # on it if not I do believe the bulb # is 161 if i remember correctly

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried to pull the bulb out. If I squeezed or pulled any harder it seemed like it would brake. I went to the GMC dealer and they said its a complete bulb assembly. They want $80 for a whole new switch assembly. If you are certain it will pull out I will remove the switch and try again.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
they do in some of the gauge clusters..

what exactly are they trying to get you to replace? you said you can just pull the bulb out.. have to tried to swap bulbs to make sure its just the bulb?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what exactly are they trying to get you to replace?

The selector switch for, head lights, dimmer switch,,,,,, that section. I took the switch assembly apart and there is a tan colored stem with a bulb on the end with a rubber little blue cap on bulb. The stem that holds the bulb will twist off of the electrical board of the switch. That bulb don't want to seem to come off? It is already blown or a bad switch Im thinking. Maybe Ill try something more aggressive on that bulb, like some lineman's and cloth too pull on it?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What the hay, it started working? Not sure what the deal is but OK. Next move is to fix the stock blown driver side speaker. Got to have sounds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts