Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off

2017 3500 Hd purchased at dealership with 25k miles and all stock except a torsion bar key mod.

Needless to say there wasn’t any down travel from this point sitting in the driveway. So the fix …..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I didn’t like trying to lower the torsion bars down on to these tires. So I sourced some stock Denali wheels bad tire out em on, had the dealership then adjust the torsion bars as far as possible to provide down travel.

That worked!
But I wanted the nice shiny 20” wheels so what do I do next

Ah comes rough country level kit 3”. Ok sounds like it should work. Make it taller, get rid of the junk torsion keys and add some upper control arms for proper alignment.

Great except the cv axle angles are trash!!

So what to do but test drive it and see.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok today was first drive on the highway for an extended period and wow it feels terrible!!! Looking for some input or thoughts

First off

The kit is not maxed out all the way up. The torsion bars are about the middle ground as it can go up more or down about the same amount.

I know the shocks from Rough Country and pure trash! If someone can source bilsteins for the application that would be wonderful

I did check my tire pressure and found them to be high for the type of driving. 65 in one, 50 in the other three. Thanks discount tire.

I adjusted the air down to 42 where I felt lots more comfortable via I am not towing.

How it feels:
The freeway by me has multiple overpasses and on them the joints from road to bridge the bumps can be rather aggressive if you will. The truck bounces one good solid bounce where I can still feel the suspension bottom out, not full compression I mean full drop. Then it continues to bounce like the ghetto mini van with blown to hell shocks in the rear but it’s the front of my truck bouncing for three or four more bounces. Think sea sickness.

I can see on the shaft of the shock it isn’t fully compressing, I don’t have a method to check the full drop except this idea of putting kids chalk on the rubber side of the stop and seeing if it rubs off when I return home? Other suggestions would be great

Otherwise the level kit is coming off, it will get set back to stock and drive as is or get and actual lift as suggested.

As it sits I flipping hate how it drives !!

Also the alignment shop has it again to center my steering wheel lol brand new truck and the wheel points to 10:30 not 12:00 and fix the toe in issue.

Otherwise any advise to fix the current problem would be great

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In other added stuffs

I did the nor cal mod a few weeks ago

As I have also swapped in some LED diode dynamics lights. Head lights look great fog lights are waf if you ask me

Reactions: 1TRIKHD

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also trying to come to a logical conclusion on edge vs banks for dead pedal fix, gauges and Hp gain

Suggestions or thoughts as I’m sure it’s a dead horse that’s been kicked for years

·
Registered
19,445 Posts
Ok today was first drive on the highway for an extended period and wow it feels terrible!!! Looking for some input or thoughts

First off

The kit is not maxed out all the way up. The torsion bars are about the middle ground as it can go up more or down about the same amount.

I know the shocks from Rough Country and pure trash! If someone can source bilsteins for the application that would be wonderful

I did check my tire pressure and found them to be high for the type of driving. 65 in one, 50 in the other three. Thanks discount tire.

I adjusted the air down to 42 where I felt lots more comfortable via I am not towing.

How it feels:
The freeway by me has multiple overpasses and on them the joints from road to bridge the bumps can be rather aggressive if you will. The truck bounces one good solid bounce where I can still feel the suspension bottom out, not full compression I mean full drop. Then it continues to bounce like the ghetto mini van with blown to hell shocks in the rear but it’s the front of my truck bouncing for three or four more bounces. Think sea sickness.

I can see on the shaft of the shock it isn’t fully compressing, I don’t have a method to check the full drop except this idea of putting kids chalk on the rubber side of the stop and seeing if it rubs off when I return home? Other suggestions would be great

Otherwise the level kit is coming off, it will get set back to stock and drive as is or get and actual lift as suggested.

As it sits I flipping hate how it drives !!

Also the alignment shop has it again to center my steering wheel lol brand new truck and the wheel points to 10:30 not 12:00 and fix the toe in issue.

Otherwise any advise to fix the current problem would be great

Dave like you said already, get a real lift for it with good shocks and to where you can have great CV angles with the wheel/tire combo you want to run. Also like you said, go back to stock for now.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave like you said already, get a real lift for it with good shocks and to where you can have great CV angles with the wheel/tire combo you want to run. Also like you said, go back to stock for now.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk
Looking at that option now, seeing lots of options, zone, rancho, so forth but many don’t allow stock wheels to be used ?

·
Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
2,836 Posts
Dave you have me wondering if I'm just clueless as to how the truck is supposed to ride. I believe I have the same 3.5" Lift/Level from RC on my 2017 that you're using, but I don't feel like my truck rides that terribly. Mine's not adjusted up all the way (if the stock measurements I was given are correct I'm at about 2.5" in the front). I'm on the stock 20" Denali wheels with 305/55R20's. I run around 55 psi currently in the front and rear.

The dealership painted over everything when I bought the truck, but I do believe it's still the same shocks that came with the RC kit.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave you have me wondering if I'm just clueless as to how the truck is supposed to ride. I believe I have the same 3.5" Lift/Level from RC on my 2017 that you're using, but I don't feel like my truck rides that terribly. Mine's not adjusted up all the way (if the stock measurements I was given are correct I'm at about 2.5" in the front). I'm on the stock 20" Denali wheels with 305/55R20's. I run around 55 psi currently in the front and rear.

The dealership painted over everything when I bought the truck, but I do believe it's still the same shocks that came with the RC kit.
That’s hard to address over a message for sure. I know what a stock truck rides like and what my other trucks have been like and I can promise the set up I have now is not measured in any way as good.

Feel free to call or pm your number am we can take and compare I’d be interested to talk

·
Registered
11 Posts
First off nice looking truck you got. As for the ride quality I’ll give you my experience because I have the same kit on my truck. I installed this kit 20k miles ago and have done many trips from LA to Phoenix, recently did a 1500 mile camping trip with the truck loaded, light towing and daily driving the street of SoCal all without any complaints, but I’ve done a few things different with my setup. I think why a lot of people don’t like this kit is because they set their expectations too high and don’t realize they’re asking the kit to do more than it can. These trucks ride rough stock and it gets worse when we push the suspension to far. Figure out how high you want your truck to sit so you can determine which route is right for you. A decranked lift rides really good and would be your best bet if you want the height. Just my opinion from my experiences.

·
Registered
132 Posts
To be honest I think you probably better off get BDS 2-3” coilover If you want a plush ride don’t want go any higher.

Only a couple negatives are have to run wheels with 18” offset or less nothing beyond 18.

And They are expensive, of course but you get what you paid for.

I have coilover set up and I’m running Denali wheels with 1 inch spacers with all stud trimmed. Running 275/65r20. Hopefully sometime in August, I’m going get a new set of wheels when they are available from back order and run 18” off set 18x9 with 35. Also replace my ridge grappler to Michelin Stock size. Of course I’m going have to replace all studs.

Anyway just thought I’d share my experience and I’m aware that it’s not torsion bar but Something to consider about a different set up.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First off nice looking truck you got. As for the ride quality I’ll give you my experience because I have the same kit on my truck. I installed this kit 20k miles ago and have done many trips from LA to Phoenix, recently did a 1500 mile camping trip with the truck loaded, light towing and daily driving the street of SoCal all without any complaints, but I’ve done a few things different with my setup. I think why a lot of people don’t like this kit is because they set their expectations too high and don’t realize they’re asking the kit to do more than it can. These trucks ride rough stock and it gets worse when we push the suspension to far. Figure out how high you want your truck to sit so you can determine which route is right for you. A decranked lift rides really good and would be your best bet if you want the height. Just my opinion from my experiences.
Thank you for your input.

While this is a new truck to me it is very far from my first duramax lift or other. Simply a different direction from previous trucks

Zero expectations of the lift other then for it to ride as I was told from others and I was very dissatisfied. But…. It is greatly improved from yesterday drive to the shop.

Reactions: 310_L5P

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From the shop:

For some unknown reason the lift had grown 2” from when it left the shop.

I dropped it off to have the alignment fixed and to verify the install.

They showed me the measurements on paper from where they had the truck sitting and showed me where it had grown(?). For some reason it was sitting about at its maximum level of lift and they can not explain why. My ride was harsh at impact of highway bump because the front shocks had maxed out on drop. The bump stops where not catching it.

The owner of the shop assured me of hundreds of installs with very pleased customers and he had not had one complaint until me which put up red flags of a problem to him. He took it for a drive the Am and didn’t make it for down the highway before he knew something was very wrong, one exit was all he could stand. The investigation showed the level being way off, and that could very well be the difference in ride quality. They lowered the truck, took out the rear block, re aligned the thing and drove again and amazing it maintained good performance on the highway and he was happy with it. They called Me and asked if I would try it for a week snd see what I thought,

We talked about doing a zone 5” and new shocks to match, but wanted to have me run it for a min before I make a choice. But as for the drive home it all seems ok minus the junk shocks.

Tires rub a very little on the front bumper and inner fender well but a zip tie will fix that for a min

They also switched tires around and determined the 65-75 mph vib has to be tire wear or balance issue but on their tire machine was not able to do any more for it. He will get me a tire quote tomorrow as he waited in the parking lot after closing time.

All in all I will drive it for a week

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Banks vs edge?

I am leaning towards banks mostly because I have never used their products and honestly Gale banks is one of the most honest up front guys I have ever learned from

Looking at the pedal monster
Derringer and I dash
Air intake system.
$1500 for the set up.

Thoughts the other direction

·
Registered
20 Posts
Banks vs edge?

I am leaning towards banks mostly because I have never used their products and honestly Gale banks is one of the most honest up front guys I have ever learned from

Looking at the pedal monster
Derringer and I dash
Air intake system.
$1500 for the set up.

Thoughts the other direction

Dave, congrats on the '17 L5P! And, thanks for the kind words about Gale. I'll pass them along. Please let me know if you have any questions about Derringer, iDash, or Ram-Air intake. As you know, we're intimately familiar with the L5P, having built thousands of them for the JLTV program. Regarding Banks vs Edge, although Edge tuner is well designed, their actual tune isn't. They achieve an impressive horsepower claim by shortening the life of your DPF. (a smokey tune) We chose not to go that route. The Derringer maintains the same AFR or better than stock. If you have questions that I can't answer, I'd be happy to put you in touch with one of our engineers. Thanks! Jay - jtilles at bankspower dot com.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dave, congrats on the '17 L5P! And, thanks for the kind words about Gale. I'll pass them along. Please let me know if you have any questions about Derringer, iDash, or Ram-Air intake. As you know, we're intimately familiar with the L5P, having built thousands of them for the JLTV program. Regarding Banks vs Edge, although Edge tuner is well designed, their actual tune isn't. They achieve an impressive horsepower claim by shortening the life of your DPF. (a smokey tune) We chose not to go that route. The Derringer maintains the same AFR or better than stock. If you have questions that I can't answer, I'd be happy to put you in touch with one of our engineers. Thanks! Jay - jtilles at bankspower dot com.
I have called in and talked with a gentleman thomas(?) supper helpful snd lots more helpful then my local distributor who said all the information is on line to read. I wouldn’t spend a $1 in the store because of their lack of information when I asked for details

Any a hole can read on line and get information but I expect for that kind of $$ to get some customer service. I got great customer service from calling into Banks # and talking with Thomas.

I’m thinking all order that once I get this lift figured.

Any discount via the forum ? Or kick back to the forum from going through you?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know it’s not a fancy full exhaust but it looks better then the stupid horn to me

Yes I cleaned off the hand prints before adding heat, no it’s not good quality stainless and the polish on it leaves much to be desired but I can fix that also

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mud flaps from duraflap installed today

I’ll need to take the front tires off to see how the fronts will mount up. Hoping they fit ok and I’ll need to see about polishing or painting the stainless black

1 - 20 of 90 Posts