Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dave, some answers to your questions.

The settings "out of the box" should have been all set to stock. I'm curious what you experienced so I can discuss with our engineers.

Most L5P owners prefer Derringer level 6 and PedalMonster at City level 8 through Sport level 2. This will give you full added horsepower and a moderately aggressive pedal. If fuel economy is a concern, I'd suggest Derringer level 3 and PedalMonster City 5.

Happy to explain Speed Based Trim. This feature allows you to set how much added sensitivity you want below 10mph. By default, it's disabled, which is level 0. At level 0, PedalMonster adds full sensitivity at all speeds. However, if you set it Speed Based Trim to level 5, the max setting, PedalMonster will add no sensitivity below 10mph. This is a great feature for towing because you don't want to jerk your trailer around when taking off from a green light. As soon as you exceed 10 mph, PedalMonster will smoothly roll in added sensitivity. An example: You enjoy an aggressive setting on the highway like Sport 10, but you don't want that much added sensitivity at slow speeds. You could set Speed Based Trim to level 4 or 5. This would make it feel like a relatively stock pedal until you cross over 10mph.

Now, when you say "I tried it and 2-5 power level". Were you in City, Sport, or Track levels 2-5? City, Sport, and Track have 10 levels each.

Regarding idle temp, I haven't heard of idle temps being altered by Derringer. Please let me know if you experience that again.

Thanks.

Jay

·
Super Moderator
1,392 Posts
@bigdave_185 , I'm a little late to the party, but congrats on the new truck.

Like Jay said above, out of the box the pedal monster and Derringer are all stock and don't do any performance boost.

My daily drive settings are Derringer 3 and Pedal monster City 3. When I need more fun, I set the Derringer straight to 6. I think I have a little of speed based trim as well, I'll check my settings and get back to you.

All and all, the pedal monster made the most difference in day to day driveability of the truck for me at least. I no longer have that dead pedal feeling.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Derringer 3 - Pedal Sport 3
Being in a city with occasional highway I have found this to be the perfect balance. Be mindful, the Derringer will not add any increase in power until certain motor temps are reached. You may be getting on it but to keep things safe its not adding anything on top yet power wise - the pedal will always be active though.

Even when I want to get on it ill bump Derringer to 6 when needed. The only time I raise the PedalMonster is if I need to get someone off a dig. I just put the intake on as well.

As far as your 810rpm....that typical of what I see when I'm starting a regen and stationary

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
After my talk tonight with jay from banks I think I have it set to give it a good shake down over the next little bit. It drives a good bunch better as I had a few setting reverse of what I thought them to be accomplishing.

City 8
Derringer 6 and I’ll run it

I have a heavy foot and hate the tires on my truck so might as well burn em off

All else I still wish this truck had some sound out of the exhaust it’s so boring to listen to. Under passes are lame, freeway ramps are blah. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Just experienced the most terrifying towing experience I have ever had.

Goose neck and our Deere 60 mini x
Driving down the highway and a pretty steep grade. As I applied brake to stop at the light my truck began to violently buck forward. The trailer brakes had worked fine empty, the setting was up on the factory brake controller to 8.
I pushed through the light as I couldn’t hold on to my wheel and keep pushing the brake. I used the shoulder as traffic was coming through the light.

I tried standing on it with no change, I tried the baker manual application with no effect.

I unplugged the trailer thinking it was the issue. Zero changed!!!
As I still had miles to go with zero assistance on a Sunday I crept along. The brake bucking continued even at 15-20 mph stops just not as violent.

I took a detour and picked up one of our drivers and he verified my load and weight distribution of the load, he went for a ride to make sure I wasn’t fuckin loosing it!!

Looking for any suggestion as this was absolutely bad bad bad.

Iv experienced swinging trailers, I know what a to much tongue weight and tail weight feels like and this was none of those!!!

The truck didn’t leave skid marks even and hard as I tried, it didn’t act or feel like ABS going off.

·
Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
2,867 Posts
Glad you're ok.

Like I said on the phone, I'm curious if it's the trailer anti sway technology in the truck acting up. It's part of the stabilitrak system.

GM Anti Sway

But if that system is engaged, it is supposed to pop up the stabilitrak icon on the dashboard. Did that happen on your truck at all?

Outside of that, I have zero ideas for what could have been going on.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I didn’t see a warning on the dash, granted I was busy lol but I did get a warning the trailer brake system needed service. But… no code on the I dash to verify any of that.

·
Super Moderator
1,392 Posts
Hey man, sorry to hear about your troubles. Did it feel like the brakes on the trailer were pulsing? I wonder if it's a bad ground or something like that.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Did you tell me it was doing it without the trailer hooked up, too?
No, when the trailer was empty it had no issues at all.

I only unplugged the trailer power/lights. It didn’t change the driving characteristics at all

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Hey man, sorry to hear about your troubles. Did it feel like the brakes on the trailer were pulsing? I wonder if it's a bad ground or something like that.
I was to much brake stopping power to be the trailer plus when I unplugged the trailer it kept doing the same thing.

·
Super Moderator
1,392 Posts
Hmm...weird. Have you inspected everything on the truck yet? Maybe a brake pad went?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I haven’t had a chance to roll under it yet, I called the dealership and left a message.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Wanted to link this thread to my Original thread to keep the info located in a central spot

SOS trailer towing

Reactions: Melonhead1102

·
Registered
29 Posts
Dave, I live in your general area and was curious what vendors and shops you may be using? Also, when you mentioned your towing nightmare I immediately pictured Sardine canyon, I was sucking up the seat cushion just reading about it.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I run sardine usually once or twice a week but not in my personal truck and yeah it gets a little steep, do you know I-89? In south Weber? That’s where i was running lights.

I use AllPro off-road a good bit but otherwise I do most myself or John Watson Chevrolet in ogden.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I run sardine usually once or twice a week but not in my personal truck and yeah it gets a little steep, do you know I-89? In south Weber? That’s where i was running lights.

I use AllPro off-road a good bit but otherwise I do most myself or John Watson Chevrolet in ogden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal
I know 89 well, been in Davis county all my live long days and travel
89 often.

·
Premium Member
2018 Silverado 3500 LTZ Z71 L5P CCSB
371 Posts
Davis County my whole life as well 🍻

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Had my first on the road regen last night. Being able to watch the I dash gauge show the percentage of clog go down was worth it. Plus I initiated the regen as I knew I had a drive down th highway. Was nice

41 - 60 of 90 Posts