Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im getting started with my exhaust and down pipe and have a question about the installation of the downpipe. it says something in the instructions about having to weld on a small strip of metal to lengthen to reach to a bracket. my downpipe does not have any other kind tab to mount to anything. do I disregard this in the instructions? Thanks

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
yeah disreguard, not needed.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also what are many of you guys doing about the turbo shield? do you just cut it out and leave it out or are you putting it back in?

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
it unbolts, and I put mine back in. the factory downpipe shield unbolts but you wont need it anymore

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Most guys just leave it out. Unless you're real careful you'll probably have to butcher it beyond repair to get it out anyway.

Sent from my Droid using the AutoGuide app while not driving...

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
Most guys just leave it out. Unless you're real careful you'll probably have to butcher it beyond repair to get it out anyway.

Does the LLMs have an extra shield? EDIT: nvrmind theres the one in the back mine had it too, yeah ditch it man.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well crap I tried my electric shears but metal is too thick for those. what the heck can I get in there with to cut that?

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
big tin snips should cut it or a air powered cut off wheel

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
update the shield it out now on to the downpipe.

gr8shot. I noticed the flange on the 5 inch exhaust is bigger than the flange on the downpipe do I have to trim that flange down to the same diameter is the downpipe for clamping it together? I got a while till I get to that step but just curious

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can not get to the nut on this v band clamp to save my ass. the threads are so long that none of my deep well sockets of it over it .... grrr. bastards ... (directed towards GM)

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Shouldn't need to mess with anything on the exhaust kit. Its made to bolt up to the factory size flange and the downpipe has the same size flange so just clamp it down with the v-band clamp and go to town!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the help today guys. After 8 hours or so the new downpipe and 5 inch exhaust is on. Might be a little louder than I had imagined. I'll try it out for a bit and see.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts