Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am new here but have been lurking for a while. I bought this truck used in Nov and have made the mods in my sig to the bone stock truck. The problem I am having is the batteries have died 3 times know over night. The truck is 5 years old so I realize it is probably time for new batteries but I want to figure out exactly what is wrong before I put 2 new batteries in. So my questions are, could it be possible that both batteries are old and just need replaced, or is there other things that I should be looking at that will cause a drain when the truck is sitting over night? I am going to try and get the batteries load tested tomorrow. Any thing else I should check out? By the way this just started happening after my lift was installed 3 weeks ago.

Thanks
tree:)

·
Registered
412 Posts
if you have a volt meter check the amp draw with every thing off then start pulling fuses till draw goes away then you know what circuit to look at.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Have every thing checked, Alternator, Battery's. It seems you still have the Factory battery's and they are 5 years old ?, are you in a cold climate ?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No battery light just 2 dead batteries. The weird thing to me is it has not happened back to back so that tells me that it may not be the batteries. I am in Ohio so I dont think the cold is the problem. I will have the alternator checked as well today. Also plan on going through the fuses and looking for currrent draw. Also, if one battery is bad can it somehow totally drain the other? I have just never had a truck with 2 batteries.

Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the link. I am at the shop now getting the batteries load tested and the alternator tested so will go from there. I hope we get it figured out soon because this is a pain in the azz. So far I love the truck but have thrown a lot of money into the front end and other maintenance issues. I am ready for them to stop now!

·
Registered
256 Posts
What accessories do you have plugged into the accessory plugs? My daughter has a portable cd player that will kill the batteries every time overnight.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have no accessories plugged in. The truck has the tv and dvd player in the ceiling so the kids use that! Both batteries were bad according to the load test so I now have 2 new ones. So far the have not died overnight like the other 2 did. The shop also checked for current draw and shorts with the truck powered off and found nothing. So hopefully it was just 2 bad batteries:confused:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Ya it only takes one bad cell in one batt to drain them both, and thats why you always change both batts. Sometimes we get the odd trucker that only wants to change one batt out of four in his semi, basically he is wasting his money because 3 months down the road his new batt is screwed too. One trucker even yelled at me "If I made your money I could change all four!", LOL.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya it only takes one bad cell in one batt to drain them both, and thats why you always change both batts. Sometimes we get the odd trucker that only wants to change one batt out of four in his semi, basically he is wasting his money because 3 months down the road his new batt is screwed too. One trucker even yelled at me "If I made your money I could change all four!", LOL.
Hey, thanks for that info that was one of the things I was unsure of. Two new batts are in the truck:D

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
saw on tv that the abs modual will keep activating if it goes bad and run down the batteries, unplug the modual and recharge and see if itwas the cause

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
saw on tv that the abs modual will keep activating if it goes bad and run down the batteries, unplug the modual and recharge and see if itwas the cause
I have actually heard that as well. My problem seems to b solved ever since I replaced both batteries.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My trucks batteries started going dead overnight when the truck was less than a year old and sill on warranty.The dealer said that one battery was bad and replaced it.Then just over a year latter it started doing it again but now I have no warranty.It seems if you buy just a battery they warranty it for 6 or 7 years but if you buy a truck with your batteries they only warranty them for 60,000km.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts