Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Dead Instrument panel sometimes

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Ron Nielson 
#1 ·
When I start my 2004 LB7 with about 58,000 miles the instrument panel is dead. No DIC, lights or gauges. Most of the time, it will power up with-in 1/4 to 1/2 mile. At other times, it works right from the start. Where do I start with this problem. The Instrument Panel was replaced under warranty before 2008. I had about 45,000 miles at that point.

#2 ·
You might just try fully charging your batteries. I had a similar situation where I had driven for probably 8 hours and stopped to refuel, no dash or radio lights upon restart for 10 minutes or so. It was because of poorly charged batteries.

#4 ·
Mine was doing the same, I also lost all gauge lights on the cluster. The gauge start up improved some with new batteries, shorter "off" duration after starting. Initially, I removed my cluster and re-soldered the pins on the back at the harness plug location and that helped initially but then over a short time (monthish) it degraded back to the original issue. I changed the cluster and all was great initially but now, less than a week later, all the gauges start right up but now the gauge lights don't work, only the idiot lights, mileage etc. I guess I have a short in the harness somewhere?
The cluster is easy to remove, the plug to the cluster can be a pain to disengage though. Try removing yours and re-installing to see if it acts any different, maybe shake the cluster while out or move the harness around to se if you can find a short type condition in it. I wonder what has to be done to replace the harness? how much dash disassembly is involved?
Anybody know that process?

#5 · (Edited)
Check your IPC circuit starting at the fuse, when your panel doesn't light up. Wiring diagrams available at GMUPFITTER.COM
SEO IGN, IPC DIC, SEO B1, RTTURN, LT TURN and don't forget to check for ground.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.