Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2020 High Country Long Bed
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for advice on how to get out of this nightmare of a situation that has been going on for 2 months now.

Here's the story...

2020 with 15,000 miles, check engine light comes on so I take it to the dealer. A few days later, the dealer calls to say they suspect contaminated fuel and that I would have to agree to a $700 diagnosis to look into it. I say "Do what you have to do." My thought was, GM certified dealer, they must know what they're looking at, if the fuel is bad I'll just file a claim with Chevron and if it's not I'm good.

A few days later, I get a call that they determined the fuel was contaminated with gasoline and that the repair would be $1650 (drain fuel tank, flush injectors, lines). The dealer guaranteed it would fix the problem. I felt trapped having agreed to the $700, but that would be applied to the $1650. Again thinking, GM certified dealer, they must know what they're looking at, I'll just file a claim with Chevron, and so I said "go ahead".

Start the nightmare...

I ask the dealer for their fuel test report so I could send it to Chevron for reimbursement. They said they do not have a fuel test report, but that it was based off of the smell. (red lights, WHAAT!?!, $700 to smell it?!). I asked for a sample and immediately took it to a Caterpillar dealer for analysis.

In the mean time I'm told the truck is ready. I pick it up and see "found P2002 code and contamination in fuel, gas " on the invoice. I'm also surprised to see "light may come back, may need injectors, fuel pump, and, high pressure pump" I drove the truck 20 miles, and the light turns back on.

Learning I was screwed over...

I take it to another dealer, their invoice states "found P2002 code, performed bulletin 16-NA-380, found particles on cloth. Found vehicle was at another dealer for same concern were repair was performed, advise customer to return to where repair was performed." This is where I learned about GM bulletin 16-NA-380. Turns out P2002 is a DPF fault code. On top of that, my fuel test from Cat comes back, all good, no faults. Realizing I was taken for a ride, I call Chevrolet Customer Service to complain the dealer performed incorrect service but I'm told Customer Service does not question a dealers determinations.

27 days after picking up the truck from the dealer that made incorrect repairs, the Service Manager calls me and is upset that I called Customer Service. He stated there would be no refunds on the work as I was free to decline the service. This one really irritated me. What is the point of a GM certified dealer if you are expected to decided which of their service recommendations are valid?!

The same day I spoke to the service manager, 2 pages worth of "altered emissions" codes were placed on my truck. Retaliation? I think so. I called Customer Service to tell them the dealer had retaliated with warranty hold codes and yet again they stated they do not have the authority to over turn a dealers determinations. What a mistake calling Customer Service was. It made everything 10x's worse.

I am just astonished that Chevrolet has no way to review complaints of this nature as I have proof the dealer took incorrect action for the code I came in with.
  • P2002 is clearly called out in 16-NA-380
  • The second dealer performed the specified DPF test, showed particles in the exhaust, but stop short of replacing the DPF because of the other dealers work history
  • I found the service bulletin the first dealer seemed to follow 18-NA-361. There is no mention of code P2002!
  • I have an ASTM fluid analysis report from Caterpillar stating the fuel was good
I haven't been using the truck because I'm worried the cracked DPF will damage the downstream DEF/SCR system. I can't get the truck fixed because of the warranty holds that I can't get remove.

Does anyone know how to reach someone at Chevrolet or General Motors that cares about the quality of service their customers are getting?

Does anyone know how I get BS 'altered emissions' holds removed?

Thanks for the advice or at the very least a place to vent.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hire an attorney and sue 'em. That's the point you're at.

·
Premium Member
3,390 Posts
In addition to the attorney, if you paid with a credit card, I would call the CC company and dispute the charge.

I just went through a dispute with GM Parts Direct where they sent me the wrong part and never responded to any emails or phone calls. AMEX too over the dispute and refunded my money.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
3,005 Posts
Yep. You're going to need legal muscle now.

Or see if you can get in contact with the owner of the dealership directly. Let them know what's going on, and tell them you'd really like to get this figured out, but you're also willing to get an attorney involved if there's nothing else that can be done.

If the owner doesn't want to play ball, hire an attorney, and park your truck across the street from the dealership with a big sign in the back telling passersby to avoid that dealership at all costs. That will get you a conversation REALLY quick.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep. You're going to need legal muscle now.

Or see if you can get in contact with the owner of the dealership directly. Let them know what's going on, and tell them you'd really like to get this figured out, but you're also willing to get an attorney involved if there's nothing else that can be done.

If the owner doesn't want to play ball, hire an attorney, and park your truck across the street from the dealership with a big sign in the back telling passersby to avoid that dealership at all costs. That will get you a conversation REALLY quick.
In addition to the attorney, if you paid with a credit card, I would call the CC company and dispute the charge.

I just went through a dispute with GM Parts Direct where they sent me the wrong part and never responded to any emails or phone calls. AMEX too over the dispute and refunded my money.

Good luck.
I might try that with the CC.

I feel most stuck over all the warranty holds. I’m worried that replacing the DPF “out of warranty” will be en entirely new can of worms but the thought of having the truck parked for months while going through a legal battle makes me sick.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT-4 Carbon Pro
87 Posts
I agree with @Melonhead1102 - Speak with the dealership owner directly. If part of a corporation find the president.
Explain yourself clearly and calmly. Don't talk about legal remedies until you have no other avenue.

You may find he/she to be a reasonable person.

My problem would be with the SM. Scorched earth for him.

·
Registered
174 Posts
A couple things come to mind. For starters, agree on filing a fraud claim with the credit card company. If you can. Prior to lawyers, you might reach out to your local TV station and see if they have anyone who does community interest stuff. They love to go after business who screw people over. When I was living in Seattle, KING5 would do investigation reporting.

Many states have a agency along the lines of 'automotive repair' - in CA it was the BAR. Do some searching and find out how to file a claim for fraud.

My wife has had TONS of luck filing claims with the Better Business Bureau. Seriously, they have helped her countless times. Try filing a claim against the dealer on the BBB website.

Keep calling GM customer care, ask to talk to a manager. If you have the results from the fuel test, that's really good evidence you got screwed by the dealer. Explain that the service manager retaliated against you, and ask if you could take the truck to a different dealer to have the emissions system evaluated. Keep good records of every conversation.

In my experience lawyers who work on automotive stuff typically want cash up front. It's certainly a last resort sort of thing.

Best of luck!

Reactions: Colorado3500

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would you please let us know who the dealer is so others will take caution when dealing with this dealer?
Chevrolet of Puente Hills in the City of Industry. Spoke to the Service Manager and even the Service Coordinator. Both blew me off. That's how you know this is their typical day at work.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree with @Melonhead1102 - Speak with the dealership owner directly. If part of a corporation find the president.
Explain yourself clearly and calmly. Don't talk about legal remedies until you have no other avenue.

You may find he/she to be a reasonable person.

My problem would be with the SM. Scorched earth for him.
I've been trying to reach an owner or GM District rep because I know at a certain level there's going to be a person that wants a reasonable end to the matter rather than a stupid waste of time lawsuit, not to mention losing a lifelong customer, but I've been unsuccessful in getting anyone above the Service Coordinator or Chevrolet Customer Service first level manager.

The worst part of this was certainly the Service Manager. I thought I was going to get an apology and a "let's make it right" but got a lecture on how it was my fault instead.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A couple things come to mind. For starters, agree on filing a fraud claim with the credit card company. If you can. Prior to lawyers, you might reach out to your local TV station and see if they have anyone who does community interest stuff. They love to go after business who screw people over. When I was living in Seattle, KING5 would do investigation reporting.

Many states have a agency along the lines of 'automotive repair' - in CA it was the BAR. Do some searching and find out how to file a claim for fraud.

My wife has had TONS of luck filing claims with the Better Business Bureau. Seriously, they have helped her countless times. Try filing a claim against the dealer on the BBB website.

Keep calling GM customer care, ask to talk to a manager. If you have the results from the fuel test, that's really good evidence you got screwed by the dealer. Explain that the service manager retaliated against you, and ask if you could take the truck to a different dealer to have the emissions system evaluated. Keep good records of every conversation.

In my experience lawyers who work on automotive stuff typically want cash up front. It's certainly a last resort sort of thing.

Best of luck!
I actually just reached out to the BAR. I don't know what if any authority they carry, it's pretty obvious the dealer is willing to crash the plane with no survivors so I'm not very optimistic.

I will reach out to the BBB. That's a good idea and honestly I want to report the dealer to anyone I can.

I'm trying to be patient with the dealer but I been in talks to them over a month and as you can imagine I'm annoyed there is no action given the amount of evidence against the dealer.

I've talked to a couple lawyers and I'm not excited about that option to say the least. Most want to take the low hanging fruit lemon law approach but that results in my truck being bought back at a BIG loss to me. Especially in this market.

Thanks for the advice. Lots of good stuff for me to unpack. TV station hmm....

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Subscribing for the outcome. Good luck DesertL5P and please keep us posted.

Reactions: DesertL5P

·
Registered
535 Posts
GM is required to provide warranty on those components by federal and state law. If they are denying you warranty without cause, they may be in violation of these laws. You may want to contact the EPA or CARB to see if you can find recourse through them.

Good Luck!

Reactions: 1Blue78

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
GM is required to provide warranty on those components by federal and state law. If they are denying you warranty without cause, they may be in violation of these laws. You may want to contact the EPA or CARB to see if you can find recourse through them.

Good Luck!
I’m currently trying to resolve it with the BAR and BBB. Good idea, I will look into EPA and CARB as well. I can’t imagine I’m the only one they’ve done this too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Today’s update. Chevrolet Customer Service confirms dealer placed emission system and powertrain warranty blocks on my vehicle. Chevrolet Customer Service stated they will not release the warranty blocks…despite having sent them all the proof.

Weird thing is, they refused to confirm this in writing. Only verbally in a conversation they said was being recorded. Why wouldn’t they email me this information?

Does anyone else find it strange that when you purchase a new vehicle you enter into a warranty contract with GM yet a privately owned dealer can arbitrarily erase that contract without oversight? How is that legal? I wasn’t notified, I wasn’t given an option to refute the dealer, just warranty erased.

1 year old truck, 15,000 miles, what a waste.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Contact the Attorney General for your state about what is going on with the dealership. And also let them know that you feel they are messing around with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act too. I am not saying you messed around with doing a aftermarket thing to your truck(which part of that that act covers) just saying that with the dealership putting a block on your truck they are voiding the warranty on other parts of the truck that are not even affected.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Screw it. Stop wasting time and go straight to a lawyer at this point. Have them include deformation of character to it as well, being they are making false claims against you based upon your honesty against modification of the vehicle.

Reactions: Melonhead1102
1 - 20 of 38 Posts