Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
I wasn’t aware that a dealer could place a warranty block on the vehicle. If customer assistance and the dealer are failing you, get a real lawyer involved (not one who wants to go lemon law), get the state AG involved and keep working with the BBB and the BAR. You have a serious issue going on with that dealer. They are in the wrong so bad that they could be putting the future of this business in serious jeopardy, imo. Get TV and social media involved as well, if necessary.

·
Registered
352 Posts
It'd be a real shame if your truck was stolen....the thieves wouldn't have any warranty!

Reactions: Elchilero53

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Wow, unbelievable. It's like something from a movie that you'd never dream could actually happen to you.

I like the idea of getting the state AG involved if it weren't for the fact that you're in California. I'd be shocked to my core if anyone in that office shows a sniff of interest in helping.

Seems like a lawyer is going to be your only recourse at this point.

Or as another option, maybe just walk in all smiles like nothing ever happened, apologize for how things have turned out and trade it for a new one. Once the turd is theirs, they can fix it under warranty so there should be no reason they wouldn't give you a good trade value. In today's market, they should want that truck. I mean, I personally couldn't do it, it's not my demeanor but maybe you can pull it off. I'd be to the point of walking in there with blood squirting from my eyes and ears by now.

·
Registered
2020 High Country Long Bed
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I wasn’t aware that a dealer could place a warranty block on the vehicle. If customer assistance and the dealer are failing you, get a real lawyer involved (not one who wants to go lemon law), get the state AG involved and keep working with the BBB and the BAR. You have a serious issue going on with that dealer. They are in the wrong so bad that they could be putting the future of this business in serious jeopardy, imo. Get TV and social media involved as well, if necessary.
EVERY lawyer I contact is lemon law in some way shape or form. Low hanging fruit I guess but I really feel like it does not apply, or at the very least, loosely applies to my case. I really need something more like warranty fraud to go after the dealer with.

A buy back with lemon law would be giving GM $25K in this market. No way I'm doing that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Wow, unbelievable. It's like something from a movie that you'd never dream could actually happen to you.

I like the idea of getting the state AG involved if it weren't for the fact that you're in California. I'd be shocked to my core if anyone in that office shows a sniff of interest in helping.

Seems like a lawyer is going to be your only recourse at this point.

Or as another option, maybe just walk in all smiles like nothing ever happened, apologize for how things have turned out and trade it for a new one. Once the turd is theirs, they can fix it under warranty so there should be no reason they wouldn't give you a good trade value. In today's market, they should want that truck. I mean, I personally couldn't do it, it's not my demeanor but maybe you can pull it off. I'd be to the point of walking in there with blood squirting from my eyes and ears by now.
Yeah, it would be bad if I went there...we're going to avoid any option that puts me there.

I am working with the BAR and if I'm not mistaken their authority comes from the AG. I have reservations about them having any teeth against the dealer but at the same time California does love their special agencies. I'm rooting for the man on this one!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I been trying for a few times to find a article about a dealership earlier this year that did a warranty block on a customer too. Same issue as you, as the dealership is a jerk. But not the same problem on the vehicles. I think it was a FCA dealership. Darn wish I could find the article..I think it was on jalopnik.com too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I been trying for a few times to find a article about a dealership earlier this year that did a warranty block on a customer too. Same issue as you, as the dealership is a jerk. But not the same problem on the vehicles. I think it was a FCA dealership. Darn wish I could find the article..I think it was on jalopnik.com too.
With how comfortable this dealer was with all the shady stuff they did, I'm really surprised there isn't more stories like mine.

It does make me wonder though, how many other people had unnecessary out of pocket repairs done when the dealer fraudulently claimed "contaminated fuel"?

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
I would think an attorney would pursue a 'diminished value' claim against the dealer. It is pretty clear that the condition that was cited by the initial dealership (contaminated fuel) is blatantly FALSE, and blocking the warranty has substantially diminished the value of your truck, to say nothing about getting the truck fixed.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I think you're referring to the Jeep dealer that tried to revoke warranty for "submerging vehicle in muddy water" when all the woman did was go on a light off-road excursion and water got into the vehicle and fried some electronics or something. I don't remember what ever came of that.

·
Premium Member
2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD
83 Posts
Today’s update. Chevrolet Customer Service confirms dealer placed emission system and powertrain warranty blocks on my vehicle. Chevrolet Customer Service stated they will not release the warranty blocks…despite having sent them all the proof.

Weird thing is, they refused to confirm this in writing. Only verbally in a conversation they said was being recorded. Why wouldn’t they email me this information?

Does anyone else find it strange that when you purchase a new vehicle you enter into a warranty contract with GM yet a privately owned dealer can arbitrarily erase that contract without oversight? How is that legal? I wasn’t notified, I wasn’t given an option to refute the dealer, just warranty erased.

1 year old truck, 15,000 miles, what a waste.
It was mentioned earlier in the thread about getting your local TV station involved, I second this, let them do some of the legwork and if it turns out there’s a history of this going on at this particular dealership they can get that information through the freedom of information act.

2) you need to record any and all conversations on your end also. Check your local laws but typically if one side is stating that the call maybe monitored or recorded you’re covered recording the conversation.
3) Social Media… forums like this are as close to social media that I get to, people love to get behind causes that in reality don’t affect them at all. Remember all the idiots out protesting for Britney Spears Conservancy? Don’t even get me started on that shit! Put yourself together a video of everything that you have, all the evidence and put it on YouTube label it your particular dealerships name… Anybody that Google that dealership, the video will show up.

4) Dealership Owner… do a record search and figure out who the particular owner of that dealership is. Write them a letter, have it sent certified mail proof of delivery and explain everything that you can with names dates and any factual information. Make it clear that you want this to come to a Quick and reasonable end. Often times owners don’t know what their particular employees are doing and the legal risk the employees are putting the owner at.,.
if you have purchased vehicles from them before, make it clear that you have spent and will continue to spend money there even if you’ll never go there again.
Then in the letter, transition to; however, IF parties involved continue to refuse rectify The problems I have made you aware of today, I will have no choice but to use all avenues and resources available to fix this issue. These will include but are not limited to; legal counsel, local TV and radio investigative reporters, social media, Federal and State agencies and laws aka The California Consumers Legal Remedies Act.
I want to be clear Mr. or Mrs. XYZ I hope it does not come to this, but I have tried to reason with your dealership and your employees and they refuse to even acknowledge my concerns. I am hoping that by making you personally aware of the practice is going on at your dealerships not only can my issues be rectified quickly but I might also be able to protect you personally from legal ramifications from unethical employees.

5) What PROOF does the dealership have to back up any accusations and allegations that they made regarding your truck? What proof do you have to counter those accusations and allegations?

You want to present yourself as an advocate for both yourself AND the owner of the dealership… make this about a fraudulent employee rather than a fraudulent dealership. The owner of the business is on your side until he or she proves otherwise. You need to keep this in mind! As I stated above owners hire people to do a job and unless that particular owner is one that is constantly a hands-on, at the dealership type of owner many times they don’t know what’s going on. They assume that their managers are handling everything.

Good Luck

·
Registered
359 Posts
I think you're referring to the Jeep dealer that tried to revoke warranty for "submerging vehicle in muddy water" when all the woman did was go on a light off-road excursion and water got into the vehicle and fried some electronics or something. I don't remember what ever came of that.

Yeah that's it. I should of know that. Since my wife has a Gladiator too. Maybe I saw it on her jeep forum.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
It was mentioned earlier in the thread about getting your local TV station involved, I second this, let them do some of the legwork and if it turns out there’s a history of this going on at this particular dealership they can get that information through the freedom of information act.

2) you need to record any and all conversations on your end also. Check your local laws but typically if one side is stating that the call maybe monitored or recorded you’re covered recording the conversation.
3) Social Media… forums like this are as close to social media that I get to, people love to get behind causes that in reality don’t affect them at all. Remember all the idiots out protesting for Britney Spears Conservancy? Don’t even get me started on that shit! Put yourself together a video of everything that you have, all the evidence and put it on YouTube label it your particular dealerships name… Anybody that Google that dealership, the video will show up.

4) Dealership Owner… do a record search and figure out who the particular owner of that dealership is. Write them a letter, have it sent certified mail proof of delivery and explain everything that you can with names dates and any factual information. Make it clear that you want this to come to a Quick and reasonable end. Often times owners don’t know what their particular employees are doing and the legal risk the employees are putting the owner at.,.
if you have purchased vehicles from them before, make it clear that you have spent and will continue to spend money there even if you’ll never go there again.
Then in the letter, transition to; however, IF parties involved continue to refuse rectify The problems I have made you aware of today, I will have no choice but to use all avenues and resources available to fix this issue. These will include but are not limited to; legal counsel, local TV and radio investigative reporters, social media, Federal and State agencies and laws aka The California Consumers Legal Remedies Act.
I want to be clear Mr. or Mrs. XYZ I hope it does not come to this, but I have tried to reason with your dealership and your employees and they refuse to even acknowledge my concerns. I am hoping that by making you personally aware of the practice is going on at your dealerships not only can my issues be rectified quickly but I might also be able to protect you personally from legal ramifications from unethical employees.

5) What PROOF does the dealership have to back up any accusations and allegations that they made regarding your truck? What proof do you have to counter those accusations and allegations?

You want to present yourself as an advocate for both yourself AND the owner of the dealership… make this about a fraudulent employee rather than a fraudulent dealership. The owner of the business is on your side until he or she proves otherwise. You need to keep this in mind! As I stated above owners hire people to do a job and unless that particular owner is one that is constantly a hands-on, at the dealership type of owner many times they don’t know what’s going on. They assume that their managers are handling everything.

Good Luck

Thanks for all the detailed info. I'm trying to report this experience to as many outlets as possible while at the same time focusing my energy so I give each battle the detail it deserves. I still haven't reached out to local news because I have so many other irons in the fire but I hope to do so and create more bad PR for the dealer.

I still haven't been able to reach anyone above the Service Director at the dealer. I would think the owner is likely unaware of the position their employees have put them in. I would hope the BAR takes this to a level I haven't been able to reach and explains the position their employees have put them in.

The dealers "proof" is a line on the invoice that states, "cantamination in fuel had gas". No test results, methods, anything on how they came to that determination. Initially, I was verbally told the determination was based on the "smell" and later they added that they did a separation test but that the only documentation is the simple statement above.

My proof is:
  • ASTM certified fluid analysis performed on a fuel sample provided to me by the dealer.
  • GM service bulletin 16-NA-380 that states the P2002 code is a DPF fault code. 16-NA-380 clearly shows the repair path the dealer should have taken when I went to the dealer with a P2002 code. It outlines a rather simple test that both myself and another dealer performed that showed particles in my exhaust from a bad DPF and therefore advises replacement of the DPF.
  • No other fuel system or engine system codes were present on my vehicle. The dealers repairs suggest they followed GM service bulletin 18-NA-361 which is for contaminated fuel. 18-NA-361 lists a handful of codes that would justify use of the bulletin, not one of these codes were on my vehicle at any time.
  • Based on my research, gas and diesel do not separate, therefore their "test" and results were falsified.
  • I've been reading forums and I think I would be the only person to have driven 100 miles with gasoline in my fuel and have no mechanical or performance issues.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts