Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truck won't start, GM shop says I need new ecm, tuner says efi is gone with old ecm, and I have to buy new one, doesn't sound right to me, 07.5 GMC 3/4T, Dennis

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Yes tunes are on ECM. Did you buy tuned ECM or do you have an autocal/V2?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just need something because someone stole my dpf filter and cat, so i need something for the check engine light, DW

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Can you go back to that shop? Get them to reflash it they will have your vin licence. Do you know who your tuner is?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Who Said that.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
You will have to buy your tunes again. You should get the Autocal to prevent this from happening in future.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
It's re buy because your probably getting standard tunes that they throw in every Tom dick and Harry truck that rides by. That's about as custom tuned as an edge juice programmer.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Where do you live dwz28?

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
I sure wouldn't re-buy, from them. When I got my tunes from Rob, they were emailed to me. Got em on my laptop. So if something happened to my ECM, and had to buy new, it would be just a matter of getting an Autocal or V2 and putting them on again. In order for your ECM to work on your truck, it has to be linked to your VIN, and the tunes are also linked to the VIN, so it should all work.

If a shop refuses to flash your new ECM with tunes you already bought, they should not get any more business. Truth of the matter, is your ECM might not have been at fault, it might have been their tune. I would ask for my old ECM, it's yours! I think you are getting taken from both sides.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
May want to visit EFILive.com, the tunes are licensed to the ECM serial number, the VIN is secondary identification. I'm sure the shop purchased a license for your truck and ECM and should not have to purchase an additional license, it's just a matter of them letting EFILive know that the ECM is being replaced on the truck it was originally purchased for..

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
May want to visit EFILive.com, the tunes are licensed to the ECM serial number, the VIN is secondary identification. I'm sure the shop purchased a license for your truck and ECM and should not have to purchase an additional license, it's just a matter of them letting EFILive know that the ECM is being replaced on the truck it was originally purchased for..
Didn't realize that, must have overlooked the SN part.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If dealer is replacing the ECM he might not be able to get it back they may need it for a core. He could also buy back the core but that may be $$$. I agree on not paying more money to reflash, he should just do it wont take 10 min.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know this is an old thread. But I'm new to this efi live. And I cant seem to find straight answer I i had my ecm replaced now no tunes on truck. have the tunes on my laptop and I have a new vin license. I cant for the life of me figure out how to get the tunes to download onto the truck. Any information would be greatly appreciated its saying truck will go into limp mode in 99 miles. With an error code $0539. ITS A 2013 gmc sierra motor ops autocal. Thanks fellas

1 - 20 of 32 Posts