Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WTF, I took my truck into the dealer yesterday because the fuel gauge stop working. The dealer decides that they cannot fix the truck because it has aftermarket exhaust and programmer.

Any help would be appreciated! i know they can not refuse to fix my truck unless my mod directly caused the malfunction. I have to talk to the service manager tomorrow so, any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Tell them there is a law that states that and see what they say you can print a copy of it off net

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Yep. That law should help you because in no way can an aftermarket exhaust effect the fuel gauge...unless they have some random bullshit excuse..

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
the other problem is if i go get my truck back it will be out warranty by the time i get home. i have 35,995 miles on the truck

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Yep. That law should help you because in no way can an aftermarket exhaust effect the fuel gauge...unless they have some random bullshit excuse..
true, but i feel as if the exhaust was just the "icing on the cake" as far as their point went. I'm willing to bet their biggest issue was the programmer, considering some of them can adjust the fuel readings etc.. just don't know what kind youre running or if this dealer is smart enough for that however..

just a thought.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Leave it in their lot. They will send you a satisfaction survey in a few days, if its still not fixed by then, give them the lowest ratings possible. It will get fixed. Don't ask me how I know. I think those surveys determine whether they get paid or not.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Leave it in their lot. They will send you a satisfaction survey in a few days, if its still not fixed by then, give them the lowest ratings possible. It will get fixed. Don't ask me how I know. I think those surveys determine whether they get paid or not.
the surveys determine the dealers CSI score (customer satisfaction index). it doesnt determine if they get paid or not but dealers have to keep a certain CSI score to keep GM happy. they will also get paid a CSI bonus if the score is high.

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what is the act that would be useful for me to know, Mangus or something like that?

·
Registered
897 Posts
the surveys determine the dealers CSI score (customer satisfaction index). it doesnt determine if they get paid or not but dealers have to keep a certain CSI score to keep GM happy. they will also get paid a CSI bonus if the score is high.
Thanks for the clarification. The way the service writer pushes to make sure you are completely satisfied, it seems like they take the money right out of their wallet if you aren't!!! :cookoo[1]:

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
what is the act that would be useful for me to know, Mangus or something like that?
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. From what I understand it basically says the dealer has to prove that your mod directly caused the problem in order to not warranty it. If you mention the name and talk about it a little they will probably be much more likely to fix it. I know when I first went back to the dealer and asked about replacing my rear bumper because it had started to rust, at first the service rep gave me the go-around about how he wasn't sure if it would be covered and probably couldn't get it replaced blah blah. Then I told him, the warranty states that any rust through is covered in the 36,000 mile warranty and he changed his attitude completely, all of a sudden he was going to get right on that, as well as replace my door seals. They will try to get out of doing warranty work, but if you show them you aren't just some joe-blow that doesn't know much, that you actually know what your talking about, they will change their attitude and do the fixes that they have to. Just in my experience..

·
Coffee addict
1,831 Posts
Had some warranty work done on my wifes car at the local dealer, and they said if we get one of those surveys to bring it in, and they will do a free oil change. Think there trying to buy me off.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. The way the service writer pushes to make sure you are completely satisfied, it seems like they take the money right out of their wallet if you aren't!!! :cookoo[1]:
No problem. Yeah the writers definitely push the surveys hard. usually the manager is up your ass if your CSI score is low.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
The MM legislation is the most widely misquoted defense. It does not apply to this situation, but it will get a good laugh.

Return to stock, or suck it up and pay for the service. You could try a different dealership. If you want to understand why they CAN do this, take a minute and read your warranty. It is a cheap maneuver, but legal.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,689 Posts
A large portion of a good dealers service manager's and service writer's pay is made up of those CSI bonuses though.

That said I disagree with this as a solution, they won't fix it after the bad score.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,689 Posts
I hate to say it, but on my truck I had to sign a document saying if I modified my exhaust my warrant would be void. I would venture to guess that if you read deep enough in your warranty legal documents you will find the same.

That said, depending on the issue I would still pursue the repair, largely because a business doesn't want to go through a law suit and the "misinformation" of that act will be something that you may be able to stand on.

This situation is why I'm so hard on guys trying to say certain methods will allow you to keep your warranty.

First question I would ask is "How did my modification cause this failure?", then follow that up with a printed copy of the mentioned act.

They could legitimately say that the failure was caused by your tune, since our fuel gauges are just a programmed value from a 0-5v input. Depending on your issue, that is obviously not a likely cause.

Only if this fails would I involve GM as you will be black listed in GMs system for warranty repairs in the future, which will make it difficult for BETTER dealers to help you and look the other way.

When my truck was 100% stock I had a dealer deny warranty due to my Titan Tank and my issues were fuel sender unit and a rear wheel speed sensor. I had to get GM involved and was finally successful after many days of fighting and phone calls to GM.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
A large portion of a good dealers service manager's and service writer's pay is made up of those CSI bonuses though.

That said I disagree with this as a solution, they won't fix it after the bad score.
Yeah it is definitely a part of their pay but not everything. I got CSI bonuses as a tech and they were only around $60 to $100. and I agree, they wont care if you give them a bad score. They probably still wont touch it.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
I'm That Guy...
16,689 Posts
The MM legislation is the most widely misquoted defense. It does not apply to this situation, but it will get a good laugh.

Return to stock, or suck it up and pay for the service. You could try a different dealership. If you want to understand why they CAN do this, take a minute and read your warranty. It is a cheap maneuver, but legal.
Just for clarification and curiosity, what is the intent of the MM Act and what is the correct quote? What specifically would make it not apply here?

I've tried to research this in the past and really never got far enough past the idealistic views to find the truth of the MM Act. Any insight you have is appreciated.

I have heard from many people that have first hand experience it is no more than an "illusion of grandeur", but those comments were more focused on the legal and engineering support GM has to utilize in the event of a court case. Not to mention the upfront legal fees, replacement vehicle fees and extremely long drawn out trial process it takes to win a court battle for a repair that should be covered.

I think a quick summary or explanation would be an invaluable reference for DF, as I'm sure you've seen from my posts I think people tend to depend too heavily on the MM Act.

Obviously anybody reading this will need to realize this is your perception or interpretation of the MM Act and you can't be held liable for the information provided.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,689 Posts
Yeah it is definitely a part of their pay but not everything. I got CSI bonuses as a tech and they were only around $60 to $100. and I agree, they wont care if you give them a bad score. They probably still wont touch it.

Sent from my DROIDX
I imagine this varies greatly between dealerships, but my friends who have been service writers made more from their CSI bonus then any other portion of their pay.

Awhile back I was offered a Service Manager position at a dealer and the proposed pay compensation was largely comprised of the CSI bonus as well.

Additionally, in some extensive conversations the owner advised me that he received a large bonus if the dealership scored a certain percentage.

The service writer information is a few years old, service manager information is no more then 1 year old, and the conversation with the COO was 15-2 years old.

As stated this may vary by dealer/state and also could have changed.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts