Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a used 2016 about a month ago and looking to change it up...

Ordered black handles and mirror caps
Plan on debadging the "silverado" and "ltz" on the tailgate
Im a bit torn on the door guards... pondering removing them entirely.
Plasti dip the z71 on the sides and "duramax" on the hood.

I refuse to pay $200-$300 for the window trim even though I really want it gone. Would a junk yard possibly have them?

Any input or thoughts are much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
A junk yard should have it, or you could paint it yourself, or there's the vinyl wrap option. I personally like completely de-badged and paint matched or blacked-out trucks, but everyone has their own taste.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input... Im leaning toward removing the door guards completely instead of trying to paint or wrap them

·
Registered
149 Posts
I debadged mine completely. I like it, they put way too damn many on at the factory. Tailgate, sides, and hood all came off. I would just wrap your window trim. Its quick, easy, and reversible in no time. My truck is white and a GMC but I can upload a few pictures if you're curious

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I debadged mine completely. I like it, they put way too damn many on at the factory. Tailgate, sides, and hood all came off. I would just wrap your window trim. Its quick, easy, and reversible in no time. My truck is white and a GMC but I can upload a few pictures if you're curious
Id love to see it! What wrap did you use? Was it a tough job? Wasnt sure how to get wrap tucked between the trim and the rubber piece

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
@matt45648 Planning on going with black wheels too? I scored some LTZ Midnight wheels and it totally changed the look of the truck. It took me a few days to get used to it. My Denali had too much chrome for my taste. I toned it down a little.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eventually gonna go with black Fuel Sledge wheels.... but right now just focussing on the cheap appearance mods as the next purchase will be the cp3 conversion.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Nice. I'll be following the transformation.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reactions: Black HD

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have gone through a lot of the same process but with my white truck. Black mirror caps, white handles, debadged the tailgate, door mouldings are gone and just the past weekend I plasti-dipped the duramax and Z71 emblems.

Luckily, My window trim already came black. I swapped out the chrome window trim for black on my last car(2015 SS) and Im not sure a junk yard would be your best bet. If the trim is anything like my car then removing it in a condition to re-install on your truck would be difficult and very time consuming to get all the clips to stay intact. Might be different since its only the bottom piece and on the car it was the curved piece on the top of the windows too.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im just a tad intimidated by the vinyl

·
Registered
149 Posts
I haven’t wrapped anything on this truck yet. But I have done the roof on my Cobra and it’s nothing to worry about. I used 3m and it came out great

Left the door bumpers for now, will probably wrap the door handles and mirror caps eventually but they don’t bother me too much

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
I would love to find a vinyl match for my RedQuartz, and dechrome my Denali

·
Registered
168 Posts
I was thinking about debadging my truck. Are you guys doing it yourself or having someone else do it? What's the easiest way for decal removal? I would imagine a heat gun to not damage the paint but I am a mechanic not a body guy so I'm not %100 sure any advice we be awesome and I have a 2013 with the bit thick door trims on them and one is peeling off anyways so might as well take them all off anyways just wondering

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I was thinking about debadging my truck. Are you guys doing it yourself or having someone else do it? What's the easiest way for decal removal? I would imagine a heat gun to not damage the paint but I am a mechanic not a body guy so I'm not %100 sure any advice we be awesome and I have a 2013 with the bit thick door trims on them and one is peeling off anyways so might as well take them all off anyways just wondering
Heat gun, fishing line, 3M eraser wheel, 3M adhesive remover, soft towel. In that order and with patience as you do each process, they come off with no issue or harm to the paint. Pull the 3M residue towards the front or back of the truck to separate it, instead of just towards you, and it should come off in larger chunks. You can do it without the eraser wheel but it takes a little longer.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Eraser wheel is a must. Makes it soooo much quicker and less finger pain at the end of the day

1 - 18 of 18 Posts