Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using a bulk def dispenser, I was able to put in about 7 gallons. The attendant made the comment the pump was running slow all day. Is it possible to put in that much def?

I saw one posting on another board that the total cap was 7.3 gallons.

Any issues with freezing with the system completely full to the spout?

Thx

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
If what I remember reading is correct then ya total capacity is around 7 gallons. But GM says to only put in around 5 incase of freezing so there's expansion room. I also seem to remember reading that it throws the level sensor off by filling it up all the way. The capacity sensor has enough problems as is I wouldn't push my luck if I were you.

Sent from my Droid using the AutoGuide app while not driving...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If what I remember reading is correct then ya total capacity is around 7 gallons. But GM says to only put in around 5 incase of freezing so there's expansion room. I also seem to remember reading that it throws the level sensor off by filling it up all the way. The capacity sensor has enough problems as is I wouldn't push my luck if I were you.

Sent from my Droid using the AutoGuide app while not driving...
Thanks. I read the owners manual and don't remember anything about not filling it up. But I bet you are right. Seemed kinda natural just to top it off. I hope the sensor isnt messed up now.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I always top right to the top of filler,never any level issues or DEF problems at all for that matter. My manual says 20 liter capacity which is 5.29 U.S gallons. I also have never let it go down more than 1/2 full, 3000km is the furthest i've been between top ups and it took 4.5 liters (1.2 U.S gallon).

·
Registered
244 Posts
Like denali said, the manual says 5.3 gallons.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I always top right to the top of filler,never any level issues or DEF problems at all for that matter. My manual says 20 liter capacity which is 5.29 U.S gallons. I also have never let it go down more than 1/2 full, 3000km is the furthest i've been between top ups and it took 4.5 liters (1.2 U.S gallon).
how do you know when its getting low? just by your mileage? i havent seen a gauge anywhere?

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
DEF usage should be 1 to 1.25% of fuel usage per GM documents.

This means somewhere between 1000-1500 miles per gallon (us), which means 5000 - 7500 miles per tank. (8000-12000km)

If you get to 1000mi (1600km) the wil be a one time warning. Repeating warnings at the 300mile (500km) level.

·
Registered
770 Posts
When I get the "1000 miles remaining" message, I buy 5 gallons, and it swallows it all. Been working for me just fine. Still need to get the "recall" executed though, haven't had the time yet.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
When I get the "1000 miles remaining" message, I buy 5 gallons, and it swallows it all. Been working for me just fine. Still need to get the "recall" executed though, haven't had the time yet.
Same here.
Undecided if I'll wait until the insulation/shields become available.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I havent had to add any fluid to my truck yet, only have about 600 miles on it. If i am understanding the refill procedure...you have to wait for it to say 1000 miles left and then add 5 gallons but dont top it off?

·
Registered
665 Posts
The tank capacity is about 5 gallons (manual has 5.3 gallons)

If the low level comes on the DIC:
Insure that the ignition is off and the ECM is powered down when adding DEF. Do not add fluid while the ignition is on or while the vehicle is running.

Start the truck and allow the warning messages on the DIC to go away. When starting the vehicle it is important to move immediately from the Off position to the Start position. If the ignition is left in the Key On/Engine Off position for a long period of time the refill detection will not occur. If this happens, turn the ignition off, wait two minutes, and then start the vehicle. After the refill detection occurs there should be no messages on the DIC.

I filled it after taking delivery - wanted to see how much came from the factory. I think I put in about 1 1/2 gallons. I added 2 gallon after 2000 miles of towing.

·
Registered
636 Posts
This whole process seems unnesessarily complex. I wish they would have just put tank level gauge of some type in the DIC or elsewhere.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My def warning came on with about 300 miles. I never got a 1000 mile warning.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
I havent had to add any fluid to my truck yet, only have about 600 miles on it. If i am understanding the refill procedure...you have to wait for it to say 1000 miles left and then add 5 gallons but dont top it off?
No, you can add it at any time.

If it got filled at PDI (some are, some aren't) you should be good for 5000-7500miles.

The 'don't top it off' note is to permit expansion due to heat or freeze.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Using a bulk def dispenser, I was able to put in about 7 gallons. The attendant made the comment the pump was running slow all day. Is it possible to put in that much def?

I saw one posting on another board that the total cap was 7.3 gallons.

Any issues with freezing with the system completely full to the spout?

Thx
How in the world did you get that low? Did your DIC give you warning? Mine never has.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How in the world did you get that low? Did your DIC give you warning? Mine never has.
It must have been a faulty def pump. The station attendant mentioned the pump was running slow all day. DIC gave a warning at about 300 miles left.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had my truck in the shop for a whisling water pump and told them to fill up the DEF.....they said they did....but the dash is still saying only 200 miles till empty. If they did fill it up....how long does it take to reset? I drove it about 45 miles home and it was still reading around 200 miles till empty?

Also....my dash is reading "low coolant...add coolant" What should I add?? Is there a certain kind for these new trucks?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts