Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I’ve tried searching this and obviously came up with a billion results, but none of what I’m looking for. So therefore I’m sorry if I’ve missed it.

I’m purchasing a 2011 2500HD, it has 65,000 miles and is completely factory.
I’ve been searching, googling, and reading everything I can. But still I’m coming up short with all the answers.
I’m wanting to delete the def tank,dpf, and eventually egr. First think I’d really like to do is 5” straight pipe exhaust. With that said, I know I need a tuner. Here’s where it gets fuzzy for me. What type of tuner do I need? I would like to keep the truck on a factory tune or close to anyway. Do these tuners come preprogrammed with the tune, are there setting to “turn” the egr, def setting off? I’m new to the diesel emissions, and this will be my first diesel truck. Thanks for any help, and again I’m sorry if this is a “re-post” but I couldn’t find these answers via searching them. Thanks!

·
Registered
106 Posts
https://ppei.com/pages/duramax-2011-2015-5-lml

G'day from Australia....

Here's the one I used. EFI Live. It comes with a choice of 5 tunes, including one that is effectively "factory". I use the tow tune in my truck.

Once you get the device (Autocal) loaded with all the info the ECM needs, you simply follow the prompts that will come up on the screen when you plug it into your OBD port.

Other things you'll need to do are disconnect various plugs under the hood, remove the DPF altogether (or possibly take it out, gut all the crap from inside it and then put it back on....if you want it to "look" like it's still in tact). If you remove it, there are several plugs and connections that need to be taken out from along the exhaust system.

All in all, it's a pretty easy job to do.

Good luck,

Roachie,
Kadina, SA
Australia

·
Premium Member
2,190 Posts
I deleted mine with help from this forum, and listed everything in my sig

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply’s.
After deleting and tuning does it help with a “dead” pedal? When driving it seems the throttle response is extremely slow.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful expensive world of diesel performance. I'm a newbie myself, I've had my truck since September 2017. Just about everything that I "know" is mostly this forum, and talking to guys from work who are just as passionate about their trucks as I am. Tons of great info on here, alot of knowledgeable people. I'm in the same boat as you as far as deciding how to go about getting my truck deleted.

So you can either call up some performance shops, tell them you want your truck deleted and give that shop full reigns on your truck (let them pick the tuner, parts, etc). Or you can be a little more picky and pick all that stuff yourself which will probably be more expensive. I personally decided to pick out everything myself.

My current parts/wish list:

1) Motor ops autocal + tcm tuning (tcm tuning probably isn't a necessity)
2) Passenger side lb7 style up pipe (some say not a necessity and a blocker plate is just fine)
3) Mbrp down pipe (some say not a necessity)
4) Flo pro 5" straight pipe (of course you'll need a new exhaust)

Now here's where it gets expensive:

5) Sportsman Cp3 conversion
6) Fass titanium 165 lift pump

Two items you ought to consider if you haven't already. At the very least a lift pump. If you're unaware of the cp4 failures you may want to put that into the search engine. That full parts list above according to random internet prices is approximately $4728, not including labor. The cp3 conversion and lift pump is a big part of that.

I want to reiterate that I'm still a newb myself so if anyone wants to correct/add anything above please feel free too.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the wonderful expensive world of diesel performance. I'm a newbie myself, I've had my truck since September 2017. Just about everything that I "know" is mostly this forum, and talking to guys from work who are just as passionate about their trucks as I am. Tons of great info on here, alot of knowledgeable people. I'm in the same boat as you as far as deciding how to go about getting my truck deleted.

So you can either call up some performance shops, tell them you want your truck deleted and give that shop full reigns on your truck (let them pick the tuner, parts, etc). Or you can be a little more picky and pick all that stuff yourself which will probably be more expensive. I personally decided to pick out everything myself.

My current parts/wish list:

1) Motor ops autocal + tcm tuning (tcm tuning probably isn't a necessity)
2) Passenger side lb7 style up pipe (some say not a necessity and a blocker plate is just fine)
3) Mbrp down pipe (some say not a necessity)
4) Flo pro 5" straight pipe (of course you'll need a new exhaust)

Now here's where it gets expensive:

5) Sportsman Cp3 conversion
6) Fass titanium 165 lift pump

Two items you ought to consider if you haven't already. At the very least a lift pump. If you're unaware of the cp4 failures you may want to put that into the search engine. That full parts list above according to random internet prices is approximately $4728, not including labor. The cp3 conversion and lift pump is a big part of that.

I want to reiterate that I'm still a newb myself so if anyone wants to correct/add anything above please feel free too.

Yeah, it hasn’t taken me long to see how expensive it can get. But looks like we have the same things in mind.
I have read the dreaded cp4 failures. I do not really plan on doing much as far as horsepower gains, I’d really just like to delete it, including EGR, and exhaust with probably the mbrp downpour as well.
Now I would still like to do the cp3 conversion down the road, just for peace of mind. But will probably do a fass 150 within the next year.
I was looking at trying to do most of this myself to save on labor. Other then the CP3 conversion, I’ll probably let someone else handle that. I was thinking to do EGR block off plates until I’m ready for the conversion and then just do a full EGR delete.
What’s the cheapest way to go, as far as just a single tune for deleting the emissions?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would guess just a tuner to flash the ecm and then get the dpf out of the way (straight pipe). That's just what I call an edumacated guess. I'll let someone more experienced than me answer that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The CP3 conversion is very good thing to have to replace the CP4, but the faliure level of the CP4's is not as high as you may think. Many guys run the CP4 and put a lift pump on the truck so the CP4 doesn't work so hard. PPEI offers a single tune autocal and I belive will do the same as 5 tune autocal just with the exception of not having 4 diffrenet tunes to pick from on the fly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The CP3 conversion is very good thing to have to replace the CP4, but the faliure level of the CP4's is not as high as you may think. Many guys run the CP4 and put a lift pump on the truck so the CP4 doesn't work so hard. PPEI offers a single tune autocal and I belive will do the same as 5 tune autocal just with the exception of not having 4 diffrenet tunes to pick from on the fly.
Thanks for the replies guys. I just pulled the trigger on the autocal and 5” flopro straight pipe. I chose the 30hp “optimized stock” tune. Do y’all think it’ll be okay to run that without a lift pump for about 6 months? Thanks for your opinions and help!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
One bit of advice I personally think is smart, Keep ALL your old parts , clean and store them safely and seal all the plugs and sensors to preserve them, the way its getting it might make the difference of a sale , it will make the difference on a trade in to have it all stock again.

Reactions: shortnugly

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I just pulled the trigger on the autocal and 5” flopro straight pipe. I chose the 30hp “optimized stock” tune. Do y’all think it’ll be okay to run that without a lift pump for about 6 months? Thanks for your opinions and help!
No way to know that but I think a good chunk of people that are deleted just went the cheapest route without a lift pump or cp3 conversion, same or similar to you. Alot of them have no issues so hopefully you'll be one of the lucky ones. I'd run lubricity additive if it were me for some potential piece of mind. Check back in after the install. Good luck

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No way to know that but I think a good chunk of people that are deleted just went the cheapest route without a lift pump or cp3 conversion, same or similar to you. Alot of them have no issues so hopefully you'll be one of the lucky ones. I'd run lubricity additive if it were me for some potential piece of mind. Check back in after the install. Good luck

Yeah, I know there’s no guarantees, but I’m not going to be running it hard. And not necessarily going th cheapest route, but if I can get by without spending another 5-600 bucks right now I’d like to just to keep the wife happy. It was hard enough getting her to “okay” $1,300 for the tuner and exhaust.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Lmao it's funny you say that. My fiance has been asking how much it's gonna cost me and I keep telling her not to worry about it. My defense is it's not "our" money yet. She'd full on flip shit if she knew how much it's gonna cost with the cp3 conversion. Another reason why I'm trying to get it done asap lol.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lmao it's funny you say that. My fiance has been asking how much it's gonna cost me and I keep telling her not to worry about it. My defense is it's not "our" money yet. She'd full on flip shit if she knew how much it's gonna cost with the cp3 conversion. Another reason why I'm trying to get it done asap lol.

lol well, we definitely understand where each other are coming from then.
CP3 will probably be about this time next year for me. Hopefully I can get a lift pump in the next 3-6 months. Like I said, I’m not gonna be dogging it out. I’ve grown out of those years by now. But will still like the peace of mind knowing a lift pump is helpin out the CP4.

Thanks for your replies “CornDog88”. That’s not your birth year in your name is it? I ask bc it is mine, my Bday is actually the 26th.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You should be able to run the truck on the optimized stock tune no problem, especially if it’s only for 6 months. The CP4 starts having trouble with the bigger tunes usually. A big thing though I’ve read is to try and fill up at a station that has a lot of Big Rigs coming through it and fill up the truck at the same place if you can. This way you minimize the amount of dangerous contaminats that could be in the fuel. One of the undesirable traits of the CP4 is that if the pump itself fails, then it shoots everything downstream in the fuel system. Now that’s uncommon but it’s one of the catastrophic things of the CP4. Having a lift pump on the truck will definitely will not hurt! Having a lift pump will add filtration and relieve stress off the CP4 in the long run. Whether it’s Airdog or Fass, either are a good choice. The new Airdog 4G’s are very quiet, I have a Airdog 2 165 4G on my LLY and I love it. Duramaxtuner has a good video on a LML that had its CP4 fail, they probably explain it a little better than me lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
lol well, we definitely understand where each other are coming from then.
CP3 will probably be about this time next year for me. Hopefully I can get a lift pump in the next 3-6 months. Like I said, I’m not gonna be dogging it out. I’ve grown out of those years by now. But will still like the peace of mind knowing a lift pump is helpin out the CP4.

Thanks for your replies “CornDog88”. That’s not your birth year in your name is it? I ask bc it is mine, my Bday is actually the 26th.
It is, the big 30. We're getting old man.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, my tuner and exhaust should be in today. When I go to install the exhaust, remove the DEF tank, and all that good stuff, will I have to leave any of the sensors plugged in or anything special like that? Or is it just bag and zip tie them up to the frame?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Subbed for updates! Doing this soon.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.