Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to the forum and Diesel trucks. Bought a 2020 GMC AT4 Duramax this past weekend and just reading up on DEF fluid recommendations and what not. I was thinking about buying the 55 Gallon drum to have in the garage to fill up when I needed. I wanted to check to see if anyone could A. Give me advice on whether buying in bulk like this is okay B. Is Blue Def okay to use in the new Duramax or is there a better recommendation.

Thanks in advance!

Marcus

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Welcome to the diesel family! Yes, Blue Def is fine. It’s what I have used in all of my trucks with no issues. I know many people that use it as well. As far as I’m concerned it’s all the same cat piss. From what I’ve seen and my knowledge on the subject, I don’t believe the DEF system or the injectors are as picky as the fuel system.

As far as a 55 gal barrel of it, I don’t know. If you’re in a cold climate without a heated garage, I would not recommend that. DEF can freeze and it will take you probably around 40k+ miles to go through that much DEF.

If you have a truck stop near your home, you can fill up in bulk there quite easily. Or it’s not that much of a hassle to buy the boxes of the stuff and add some every few thousand miles. All depends on your use case for the truck. To me, a barrel of it sounds like more hassle than its worth.

If you’re just doing normal driving, you can probably get by with just filling it up every oil change. It gives you plenty of warning when it’s low. You won’t be surprised with a low tank. You don’t keep a 55 gallon barrel of oil do you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the detailed response! I'm sure my post must sound really dumb to some. The more I read it seems like the 55 Gallon idea is more for if I had multiple diesel engines that I needed to fill in a regular basis. Not to mention the shelf life is only 2 years. I'll probably just buy it when I need it like you suggested. Thanks for the suggestion and I look forward to the raid ahead.

·
Registered
139 Posts
As you've read, DEF has a shelf life dependent on temperature. I don't know how you drive, but I don't see the upside to a 55 gallon drum. Super Tech DEF at WalMart is as good as any and the gallon jugs are sticker dated. 2 1/2 gallon jugs use a date code. DEF is DEF is DEF.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Hi, I am new to the forum and Diesel trucks. Bought a 2020 GMC AT4 Duramax this past weekend and just reading up on DEF fluid recommendations and what not. I was thinking about buying the 55 Gallon drum to have in the garage to fill up when I needed. I wanted to check to see if anyone could A. Give me advice on whether buying in bulk like this is okay B. Is Blue Def okay to use in the new Duramax or is there a better recommendation.

Thanks in advance!

Marcus

ive never had an issue with blue def in the wifes cruze. I would avoid buying the 55 gallon drum unless you drive enough to use it up in a reasonable amount of time. if it starts to evaporate you will get crystal formations in the solution that could clog up the system. See if you can find a station that has DEF at the pump, its so much easier that way not having to deal with the boxes and what not.

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
You can find bulk def pumps in the highway tractor lanes at most truck stops.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts