Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
no, it is not very accurate, I have never put more than 6 gallons in mine even when it told me that I was going to be speed reduced in 50 miles.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT-4 Carbon Pro
83 Posts
That is pretty accurate. Mine shows full and it will still hold almost an additional gallon.

20-NA-082 1..2 (nhtsa.gov)
I had to chuckle after reading that service bulletin. Not because I disagreed but because the first and only time I filled up my DEF tank the level still showed below full. I thought wtf?? After a few key cycles, like the SB states, it registered full.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Life was so much simpler on the 2011's that had no def level indication except for the 1000 miles to empty warning and the repeated miles to empty updates when below 300 miles remaining.

(followed of course by the 'miles to speed limit' warnings that would start one the tank was empty)

·
Registered
216 Posts
I bought mine in April of ’20 and it’s been accurate. Used about 2-2.5 gals going from Phoenix to Durango pulling our 10k lb travel trailer a couple of weeks ago, and the gauge showed around a 3 bar drop.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the the input. My gauge does seem to be fairly accurate and it looks like I'm going to get about 2500 miles/tank of DEF. I pull a 16,000 5'er for about 25% of the time. Regen are occurring at about 830 mile intervals.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thanks for the the input. My gauge does seem to be fairly accurate and it looks like I'm going to get about 2500 miles/tank of DEF. I pull a 16,000 5'er for about 25% of the time. Regen are occurring at about 830 mile intervals.
Is the 2500 mile estimate empty or with some towing of your 5’er? I’m averaging about 700 miles per gal empty and mentioned what I got towing on my latest trip above.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had to chuckle after reading that service bulletin. Not because I disagreed but because the first and only time I filled up my DEF tank the level still showed below full. I thought wtf?? After a few key cycles, like the SB states, it registered full.
My gauge went to full and now it won’t move

·
Registered
2021 Silverado 2500HD LTZ L5P
85 Posts
My gauge went to full and now it won’t move
If you fill it and aren't towing it's not going to move much for a while. Most likely it wont update until the next key cycle. I've noticed mine doesnt move and I drive the next day a bar is missing.

What I do is when the def gauge is 50% I put in a box of def. I dont stress out about the actual level I'm just concerned with def quality and the stuff that's going in being 32%. I dont know if what I'm doing is good practice but I've read about too many horror stories letting def tank run out so I figure 50% gives me plenty of time to find a def box no matter where I am.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts