Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on the highway last week, my wife's 2011 dash indicating emission fluid quality poor and a check engine light also came on. I didn't notice any degradation of performance... I figured I might be out of DEF so I tried to add some. It was already full. I took it to a local shop who indicated that DEF fluid will go bad just setting in a container at an auto-parts store or in her truck's DEF tank. None of the suppliers add an expiration date to their DEF containers. 300+ bucks later after shop drain old DEF, replaced with new DEF and reset codes, and driving for about 30 minutes, the codes and warnings returned. There is no apparent loss in performance. What could it be???

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
I have a friend with a 2017 2500HD Duramax and he too had a bad quality DEF fluid light (dealership diagnosed). I hooked up my scan tool and it showed it was a NOX sensor so I just cleared the code and it has been out for over 2 months. I think the code was P2202.

Reactions: tank1949

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a friend with a 2017 2500HD Duramax and he too had a bad quality DEF fluid light (dealership diagnosed). I hooked up my scan tool and it showed it was a NOX sensor so I just cleared the code and it has been out for over 2 months. I think the code was P2202.

What scanning tool do you recommend?

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
I bought one about 8 years ago and I'm at work so I don't have the model number with me. Any current scan tools should be able to read the code, I think you can go to like Autozone and they can read the code for you. Once you have the number just Google it and you will have your answer. I have a Banks iDash in my truck so if I ever get a code I can just get it from there. I would be highly suspect that you are having a DEF problem, maybe just a NOX sensor being tripped and a reset would work like it did for my friend. I did see the code was reset for you, so my next guess would be a bad NOX sensor. I would get the actual code and go from there. Please keep us posted on what you find.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought one about 8 years ago and I'm at work so I don't have the model number with me. Any current scan tools should be able to read the code, I think you can go to like Autozone and they can read the code for you. Once you have the number just Google it and you will have your answer. I have a Banks iDash in my truck so if I ever get a code I can just get it from there. I would be highly suspect that you are having a DEF problem, maybe just a NOX sensor being tripped and a reset would work like it did for my friend. I did see the code was reset for you, so my next guess would be a bad NOX sensor. I would get the actual code and go from there. Please keep us posted on what you find.
THX!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Rarely is it bad DEF. Excuse some incompetent dealers like to use. Almost always Its the NOx sensors that need replacing

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rarely is it bad DEF. Excuse some incompetent dealers like to use. Almost always Its the NOx sensors that need replacing
We don't have 50K miles on this truck. I suspect just another attempt to charge more for repairs that are not needed. I would hope that code for bad sensor would show and not some "poor quality" response . THX!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
2011 trucks are notorious for bad NOx sensors. First year DEF 2011 had the most problems.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2011 trucks are notorious for bad NOx sensors. First year DEF 2011 had the most problems.
So just clean or replace it and end of problems or the design for that year are POSs? And, I will be plagued and plagued again???

·
Registered
159 Posts
If it helps at all we have a 2017 at work that has literally been sitting in the yard by the shop for 2 years an a few months, never moved once, def was 3/4 an fuel was 1/4 I put new batteries in it (just cause we just got some in an I was going to be driving it) filled the fuel tank an it’s been running an hasn’t missed a beat for the last 2 months

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
So just clean or replace it and end of problems or the design for that year are POSs? And, I will be plagued and plagued again???
Replaced. First year NOx sensors had all kinds of problems. Believe GM extended warranty they were so bad. Read up on 2011 trucks. LOTS of DEF related problems.

Any emissions related repairs and your into the thousands of dollars (not hundreds) to fix. If your not prepared for that then I would suggest selling and buying gas.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Replaced. First year NOx sensors had all kinds of problems. Believe GM extended warranty they were so bad. Read up on 2011 trucks. LOTS of DEF related problems.

Any emissions related repairs and your into the thousands of dollars (not hundreds) to fix. If your not prepared for that then I would suggest selling and buying gas.
Wife's truck and I warned her not to buy it. Thx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts