Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer told me the Def just shows empty as first warning then countdown to reduced power , I say BS !! Truck has 16,000 on it and has never shown any warning except Def empty , anyone else have this ?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that it would indicate level when it got below one third of a tank.

I have a Banks i-Dash 1.8 and it will show a real % number that changes once the level falls below 39%. If it has more than 39%, it just reads 39-40% all the time as that's the top of the sensor.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have edge gauge and it shows notta on def levels and all seem to confirm def should report several time when level goes below 1/3 or so with % , mine shows nothing until "diesel exhaust fluid empty 500 miles to reduced speed" then when I fill most its ever taken is 5.4 gallons , usually about 4.5 is all it takes. its a shithook system to say the least. 3 Dealers have no clues seems like by now they might know something

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
def level reads ok …. till about 37 %
then says low
there is a thread somewhere here on this
and I found out the dealer does not ad def during set up and delivery ..
GM puts about 50 % from factory .. but customer must fill .. that's bull s&*t
mine came on with 400 miles on truck …
I think you get about 1000 miles after lite says loy before reduced power mode

·
Registered
6,029 Posts
def level reads ok …. till about 37 %
then says low
there is a thread somewhere here on this
and I found out the dealer does not ad def during set up and delivery ..
GM puts about 50 % from factory .. but customer must fill .. that's bull s&*t
mine came on with 400 miles on truck …
I think you get about 1000 miles after lite says loy before reduced power mode
It's not bullshit at all.

They don't fill fuel tanks at the factory either.

Both should be filled at time of delivery by the dealer.
This gives the best opportunity for both fuel and def to be fresh, and for the fuel to be an appropriate blend for the season/area.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 19 3500HD will chime in with about 750 miles remaining. I fill mine each time I change oil at 5000 mi. Takes 2 jugs to fill.

Reactions: Duramaxdan59

·
Registered
341 Posts
It's not bullshit at all.

They don't fill fuel tanks at the factory either.

Both should be filled at time of delivery by the dealer.
This gives the best opportunity for both fuel and def to be fresh, and for the fuel to be an appropriate blend for the season/area.
Mine (def) was full off the transport and I verified this at one of the largest Chevy Dealer's there is there is. Mine is a 2020. Maybe they lied...:grin2:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Howdy, Jeff here, new to the Dmax and diesel, just purchased a 2019 Denali 2500HD.
My dealer did fill my DEF tank at time of purchase,said it took right at 2 gallons with only 20 miles on the odo...
I got the power will be reduced after about 3750 miles of combo towing a 4000 lbs travel trailer and normal driving 60-70 mph.
I have not seen the Re-gen message come up but have smelled it a few times, service guy said the system will do "mini" regens from time to time and the dash icon will not appear.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i was not aware of a message or Icon that shows regens?? I don't believe there is one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ah, its part of the DEF system, apparently only comes on if there is a problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
852 Posts
Howdy, Jeff here, new to the Dmax and diesel, just purchased a 2019 Denali 2500HD.
My dealer did fill my DEF tank at time of purchase,said it took right at 2 gallons with only 20 miles on the odo...
I got the power will be reduced after about 3750 miles of combo towing a 4000 lbs travel trailer and normal driving 60-70 mph.
I have not seen the Re-gen message come up but have smelled it a few times, service guy said the system will do "mini" regens from time to time and the dash icon will not appear.
Your truck does not display a message or anything when it is regen GM designed the system to run seamlessly in the background about the only way you can tell it is in regen is a drop in fuel mileage and an elevated idle while it is in regen

·
Registered
10 Posts
my 2019 had 850 miles on it when I got it. I put 5 gals in it and the gauge never moves, after about 4500 miles the message center said 150 miles to low power mode. The gauge was reading about 1/3 full so I added 2.5 gals gauge didn't move so I guess my gauge is faulty. Also why in the hel... did they put the fill for the DEF in such a shitty place , hard not to make a mess, if you don't wash if off right away it stains everything it got splashed on. Guess I need to take to stealer to have it checked out. Other that I love the truck:love:

·
Registered
6,029 Posts
my 2019 had 850 miles on it when I got it. I put 5 gals in it and the gauge never moves, after about 4500 miles the message center said 150 miles to low power mode. The gauge was reading about 1/3 full so I added 2.5 gals gauge didn't move so I guess my gauge is faulty. Also why in the hel... did they put the fill for the DEF in such a shitty place , hard not to make a mess, if you don't wash if off right away it stains everything it got splashed on. Guess I need to take to stealer to have it checked out. Other that I love the truck:love:
By gauge, do you mean the DIC screen that shows "OK' when level is above about 30%?

·
Registered
30 Posts
After the def recall and my19 "was" corrected now it always says def good .I put in def every few thousand and it's all ok told dealer they shook heads .so I'm leaving it as be computers always will send mixed signals and we spend $

·
Registered
6,029 Posts
After the def recall and my19 "was" corrected now it always says def good .I put in def every few thousand and it's all ok told dealer they shook heads .so I'm leaving it as be computers always will send mixed signals and we spend $
It should say DEF good (or DEF OK) until it gets down to about 30% remaining.

Below 30% remaining it should display the estimated percentage remaining.
When it gets down to where it estimates 1000 miles to empty, the DIC should pop up a range warning. (once)
When it thinks the range to empty is less than about 300 miles, it should give the rage estimate each time it is started.

If it gets def tank empty it then starts a 500 mile countdown to the 65mph speed limit. That message doesn't clear, but does update to show the number of miles remaining til 65.

Reactions: nashguy207
1 - 20 of 20 Posts