Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a 2018 l5p that I purchased the ppei tunes full exhaust and 3.5in downpipe with egr delete... obviously for track racing only in Mexico 馃槈. I have not installed anything yet however the question isssss does anyone make a def tank delete kit or do I just rip that bish off!!!! Never owned a diesel to this day with emissions so my l5p is the first.

Registered
Not sure how the LML tank compares to the L5P tank, but mine just had a cover over it that comes out with a few bolts, then there is 2 steel straps that hold the def tank in. jack the tank up and push the straps back and pull down and they should come out. Tank should fall right out, then you just unplug all of the connections and hoses.

Reactions: denarli6.6

Premium Member
You might want to check on that. Easy enough to just remove the tank, but what about the ECM reprogramming so it doesn't try to use that system? If you don't do anything about that I believe you will be looking at DIC lights alot.

Registered
You might want to check on that. Easy enough to just remove the tank, but what about the ECM reprogramming so it doesn't try to use that system? If you don't do anything about that I believe you will be looking at DIC lights alot.
I just bought I 2019 and I would like to relocate the tank or get rid of it. With my job we have to be off-road a lot and I don鈥檛 think the tank will make it long if it stays where it is at. Any suggestions?

Registered
I just bought I 2019 and I would like to relocate the tank or get rid of it. With my job we have to be off-road a lot and I don鈥檛 think the tank will make it long if it stays where it is at. Any suggestions?
Yes----that is why I would not buy a 2019 or any of that generation. The 2020 has fixed the issue.

There are relocation kits made by several people. The one I would use is this but you can see there are issues with it not being legal.

EVS L5P Duramax DEF Tank Relocation Kit | DMAX Store

"EVS L5P DURAMAX DEF TANK RELOCATION KIT
$1,099.99 & Free Shipping
Availability: Out Of Stock
Available Options

* DISCLAIMER!:
THE SALE OR INSTALL OF THIS PRODUCT MAY BE ILLEGAL NATIONWIDE UNDER THE FEDERAL CLEAN AIR ACT(42U.S.C.搂7522(A)(3)"

Registered
There is re-location information in the upfitter documents put out by GM

Registered
OK, I'll bite. Why the hell would relocating the DEF tank be illegal? I mean I understand if you relocate it to your shed or to the landfill that won't fly but just moving it to a different location on the truck? I don't really care about the location of my tank but I would like to relocate the filler out from under the hood. I suppose that's illegal, too?

Registered

Premium Member

Premium Member
OK, I'll bite. Why the hell would relocating the DEF tank be illegal? I mean I understand if you relocate it to your shed or to the landfill that won't fly but just moving it to a different location on the truck? I don't really care about the location of my tank but I would like to relocate the filler out from under the hood. I suppose that's illegal, too?
I don't see how relocation would be illegal as long as the system still worked. As for the filler where would you put it? Tank inlet is on that end of the tank IIRC.

Reactions: blythkd1

Registered
I don't see how relocation would be illegal as long as the system still worked. As for the filler where would you put it? Tank inlet is on that end of the tank IIRC.
I guess ideally I would like to see it on the driver's side but that's probably not feasible. Maybe with a flatbed a guy could run it across the headache rack? I've had flatbeds on my last 3 trucks but I'm still running the stock box on this one, at least for now.

Registered
Red ,
Thats for 2020's and only applies to the 3500 cab and chassis with rear tank only if I read it correctly.
I was really just trying to show that the can be moved, and there is some how-to info available from GM.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts