Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 14 lml Duramax about a year ago and have been having non stop problems with the emissions. What's the best route to go about deleting? Not looking for a lot more power. Was told I can get a delete pipe and a tune but looking for more advice

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought a 14 lml Duramax about a year ago and have been having non stop problems with the emissions. What's the best route to go about deleting? Not looking for a lot more power. Was told I can get a delete pipe and a tune but looking for more advice
Glow harder FBI

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Glow harder FBI
A first post that asks for delete advise is suspicious around here. If you really want advise then look to previous posts.
Just gotta ask, Do you guys assume the EPA is so dumb that they are unaware of the search function on the forum? Or better yet, that they cant throw a bot at the forum and just scrape all the data they like? Plenty of information from every user here is buried in the history of this forum, no need to entrap anyone. Even deleting all your posts would not matter as the data's all cached by google anyway and likely exists in multiple database backups im sure the site hosts make. Basically, if the EPA is going to use this forum to screw people, you're already screwed.

I think its much more likely that all the diesel guys who have been thinking about it for years hears about things changing and decided to jump on the band wagon but thats just me.

To the OP, assuming you are not an EPA troll, which personally i think is unlikely, your only option without knowing a guy who knows a guy is to go through Canada for your tuning and parts. If you dont plan to do the work yourself, you will struggle to find someone willing to accept the liability.

This same information can be found on literally thousands of posts on this forum. Given people are very hush hush as you have no doubt seen already, you may want to use the search feature to find more information. There are several posts with your exact same question with the information you want from just the last few days.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok well let me change my question... Being someone assumes I'm a epa idiot. My pickup keeps going into a "limp mode" and with hauling all the time it gets old fast. I'm assuming the filter is plugged so I was just looking for a way to cure the problem and a delete seems to be the best way to go. I plan to do the work myself just looking for advise on which tuner and tunes to go with.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Ok well let me change my question... Being someone assumes I'm a epa idiot. My pickup keeps going into a "limp mode" and with hauling all the time it gets old fast. I'm assuming the filter is plugged so I was just looking for a way to cure the problem and a delete seems to be the best way to go. I plan to do the work myself just looking for advise on which tuner and tunes to go with.
what codes are you getting? limp mode under load is more likely a fuel issue then an emissions issue and a delete would not fix that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No it pops up as service emissions system. Blank miles till limited speed and goes lower and lower like it's out of def but that's not the case. It's always cured itself until now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just gotta ask, Do you guys assume the EPA is so dumb that they are unaware of the search function on the forum? Or better yet, that they cant throw a bot at the forum and just scrape all the data they like? Plenty of information from every user here is buried in the history of this forum, no need to entrap anyone. Even deleting all your posts would not matter as the data's all cached by google anyway and likely exists in multiple database backups im sure the site hosts make. Basically, if the EPA is going to use this forum to screw people, you're already screwed.

I think its much more likely that all the diesel guys who have been thinking about it for years hears about things changing and decided to jump on the band wagon but thats just me.

To the OP, assuming you are not an EPA troll, which personally i think is unlikely, your only option without knowing a guy who knows a guy is to go through Canada for your tuning and parts. If you dont plan to do the work yourself, you will struggle to find someone willing to accept the liability.

This same information can be found on literally thousands of posts on this forum. Given people are very hush hush as you have no doubt seen already, you may want to use the search feature to find more information. There are several posts with your exact same question with the information you want from just the last few days.
To answer your question. Yes I think the EPA is pretty dumb.

Reactions: mizterwizard

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
To answer your question. Yes I think the EPA is pretty dumb.
Fair, but if you think the only way they have to access your information on this forum is to entrap you into making a post..... well.... you would not be right.

The odds of this guy being a new legitimate member looking for help is many times higher then the odds of him being a deep cover EPA agent looking trying to connect forum names to vin number or something.

Googles spiders are constantly indexing this forum, as well as every other site online to keep there search engine results up to date.

This forum is run on a database of some sort, assuming that the people running this site are not completely, and totally incompetent, that database is regularly backed up for disaster recovery or roll backs ect.

I guarantee you neither would hesitate to comply with a legal request for those records.... not that that would be needed, since the entire contents of this site since it launched is publicly available via search engines....

Once you put something on the internet, no matter what it is, or how fast you delete it, it will be there forever if you know where to look.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Fair, but if you think the only way they have to access your information on this forum is to entrap you into making a post..... well.... you would not be right.

The odds of this guy being a new legitimate member looking for help is many times higher then the odds of him being a deep cover EPA agent looking trying to connect forum names to vin number or something.

Googles spiders are constantly indexing this forum, as well as every other site online to keep there search engine results up to date.

This forum is run on a database of some sort, assuming that the people running this site are not completely, and totally incompetent, that database is regularly backed up for disaster recovery or roll backs ect.

I guarantee you neither would hesitate to comply with a legal request for those records.... not that that would be needed, since the entire contents of this site since it launched is publicly available via search engines....

Once you put something on the internet, no matter what it is, or how fast you delete it, it will be there forever if you know where to look.
My initial post was more or less a joke. But now at least op has an idea that delete questions are most likely going to be answered the way they have in the past.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts

Not if your name is Hillary!
Oh.... its still there..... you just commit suicide when you find it. >:)

·
Registered
997 Posts
Mods, please change title on this thread to "EPA ADVICE"

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is no law against informing someone how to delete a truck. Not trying to be a smartaxx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you considered having the DPF cleaned? It’s substantially cheaper than replacing it.
The process involves putting the DPF in a Kiln for 1 or more cycles to “bake” it. Kind of like a cleaning cycle for your oven at home.
You could have this done for probably less than $500 (don’t quote me on that) and from what I understand the DPF is restored to like new.
This would not only be cheaper than deleting, but much easier & less headache/stress.

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
These days by giving advice you might as well put a target on your own back.
How do you think the tuners got busted, to many big mouths bragging about who did their delete tuning along with all the mods.
Including me.
If they want to know let them search the subject, I’ve had a few PM’s the past couple of years with way to many questions that ended up being suspicious.
One even wanted to chat on the phone about my mods and who did the work. 'uhNo
There is a small difference in old searched info vs fresh out of the box info.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I was watching an episode of Gold Rush today. They are in the Yukon so EPA doesn't apply. They had a diesel pump that kept shutting down because it updated its firmware over the cell phone network and the new firmware had a bug that detected problems that weren't there. It had all of the same parts that our trucks have including DPF, DEF, EGR with a cooler and a CAT. They tried resetting it to the factory specs but an hour later it reported that the DPF had a 131% soot load and shut down again.

It took half a day and a software update but they got the pump back up and running. Funny how so many emissions controls are so poorly attached that they just fall off all of the time. Not just on truck but on pumps too. And the down time was only worth about $5000.

If I was younger I'd think about moving to the Yukon and opening a diesel engine rebuilding business. I can imagine that a lot of people are going to want to keep their older engines running for as long as they can now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts