Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
***Please do not mention any shops specifically in this thread***

Virginia has an annual state inspection for all motor vehicles. I have made a few phone calls recently to shops that do state inspections. I have been consistently told that a deleted truck will not pass VA inspection. These calls were not made to the northern VA counties that have emissions testing. I am not in an area that requires it. From what I’m being told, and according to the inspection guidelines on DMV’s website, modified exhaust and defeated emissions equipment are reasons for the vehicle to fail inspection. Again, regardless if emissions are tested or not.

I spend a lot of time on the road for work. I see deleted trucks with VA tags and current inspection stickers everywhere. Probably saw 20 or 30 deleted trucks today between Richmond and Fredericksburg and back. So my question is...

Does everyone with a deleted truck in VA “know someone” to inspect their trucks, or is it one of those topics where if you ask, you get told the correct answer, but when it comes time to inspect, it gets overlooked?

Again, please do not name any specific shops as I don’t want the wrong people to see this and have shops get reported. Just looking for general info.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
if i had to guess, a couple bills "fall out of your pocket" while the guys looking at the truck and he gets so distracted trying to get you back your money that he forgets you had exhaust and a delete.

I doubt everybody with a deleted truck knows one guy, its more likely that its a highly shady industry to start with and theres more "that one guy" than the sticklers.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I installed car audio equipment for years and it is illegal to install a radio with video options that can play while the vehicle is moving (so the driver dosent watch movies... or other things... while driving) At least twice a week people would leave money on the counter or floor to bypass that, so im quite sure this is how the game is played in the IM world too. In my case id give them the money back because i dont want you driving on the same roads as me with a bottle of lotion (true story..... seen things that cant be unseen) while your watching a video, but i suspect in the IM world people would be more open to that kind of persuasion.

·
Registered
10,691 Posts
100% who you know

Reactions: 2THE9S

·
Registered
10,691 Posts
I installed car audio equipment for years and it is illegal to install a radio with video options that can play while the vehicle is moving (so the driver dosent watch movies... or other things... while driving) At least twice a week people would leave money on the counter or floor to bypass that, so im quite sure this is how the game is played in the IM world too. In my case id give them the money back because i dont want you driving on the same roads as me with a bottle of lotion (true story..... seen things that cant be unseen) while your watching a video, but i suspect in the IM world people would be more open to that kind of persuasion.
Damn...this is why my windows are so dark :rofl

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Damn...this is why my windows are so dark :rofl

You should have seen the faces on the two elderly women my coworker was helping as i pulled that truck in just in time for the radio to turn on and resume playing........ loudly......

I backed it out and told him to have a nice day.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You should have seen the faces on the two elderly women my coworker was helping as i pulled that truck in just in time for the radio to turn on and resume playing........ loudly......

I backed it out and told him to have a nice day.
:rofl

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if i had to guess, a couple bills "fall out of your pocket" while the guys looking at the truck and he gets so distracted trying to get you back your money that he forgets you had exhaust and a delete.

I doubt everybody with a deleted truck knows one guy, its more likely that its a highly shady industry to start with and theres more "that one guy" than the sticklers.
I wasn’t saying everyone has the same guy. Just questioning if everyone has a guy they know or if it is just commonly overlooked.

·
Registered
10,691 Posts
Try big rig shops, and the smaller inspection stations that seem like they don't go over as much

·
Registered
10,691 Posts
You're too far from me for me to help ya out.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I take my bikes to car dealers. Most have no idea what they are looking at. They have me pull the bike in. Check lights, signals, horn, tire tread, and slap a sticker on it. Some don’t check anything other than a walk around as I pull it in.

Maybe I should take my truck to a motorcycle shop.

·
Registered
10,691 Posts
:rofl worth a try

·
Premium Member
3,319 Posts
I wasn’t saying everyone has the same guy. Just questioning if everyone has a guy they know or if it is just commonly overlooked.
Completely depends on where you are at and who you know............

In years past, it was quite amazing what I could get done for a case of beer. :beer

·
Registered
794 Posts
I take my bikes to car dealers. Most have no idea what they are looking at. They have me pull the bike in. Check lights, signals, horn, tire tread, and slap a sticker on it. Some don’t check anything other than a walk around as I pull it in.

Maybe I should take my truck to a motorcycle shop.

Hey, neighbor.... I'm in Chester. PM me for a little inside information on a local shop. I have an LB7 so I don't have all that emissions stuff but I know of a shop that might work for ya.

Reactions: 2THE9S

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone have an update? I am moving to Fredericksburg in a month and need some guidance or a PM on where/ who I should wonder upon. I have a 2015 deleted and it’s still tagged for Florida but was wondering if it’s worth the hassle in keeping it tagged in Florida or change it. Again just some guidance. Thanks

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
can't talk about deleting on these forums any more. EPA is monitoring and they are prosecuting. Both shops that do that work and those who drive deleted trucks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.