Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post on the Forums and I did already post this in another section however the lack of response tells me I either didn’t do it right or people may not be able to see it. So sorry I’m advance if this post seems redundant.

I drive a 2019 L5P Duramax. I just recently ordered the edge pulsar, s&b cai and magnaflow 5” exhaust. I’ve read so many mixed reviews about banks vs edge. I’ve also obviously seen banks review on the pulsar himself. I’m really just curious if anybody has any real numbers comparing the two programmers? I doubt the pulsar is as bad as banks tries to make it out to be otherwise they wouldn’t be selling. He obviously is partial to his own product. The edge monitor and pulsar seem fairly promising but I’m really just curious if any of you guys have real world numbers? And also if anyone neutral has compared dyno numbers? And real gains of horsepower and torque curves for the pulsar over stock? Any significant concerns about EGT’s with the pulsar and if the stock ECU is really pulling fuel and boost to keep EGT‘s low enough to not blow up? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hey,,, i cant help with real numbers.... but i did the derringer , air intake and 5" filter back exhaust....... so , according to Banks im at 500 hp at the rear...... i cant tell you if its real of not,,, but for the money , im happy with the obvious gains in performance..... im coming from a fully tuned and deleted 6.4 Ford.... sporting 600hp to the rear and 1200 fpt............. im not willing to do a full delete .... as im no longer trying to blow trucks up....

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Some Banks haters will say he just likes to talk shit about competitors. I think he just hates bad products and marketing bullshit and is outspoken about it. What I get from the video is that other tuners just increase fueling and 'feel' like they make more power if you just goose the throttle for a few seconds at a time but have serious issues in making sustained power increases like when towing. I don't own any Banks products but I really relate to Gale. I too am in a business where most of my "competitors" are a bunch of hacks, butchers, and ripoff artists while I'm trying to provide the best possible products and service and it's very frustrating.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I did purchase the pulsar/edge. It definitely makes some good power however I’m a little concerned about my regen situation thus far. I’ve only had it on for about 150 miles and I’ve gone from 10% spot up to about 75% which tells me this thing is going to cause a substantial increase in regents and that is not something I’m interested in dealing with. I did contact edge and they said to monitor the regents for a bit and if I am not happy with the regen situation they would take it back and refund me my money.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well I did purchase the pulsar/edge. It definitely makes some good power however I’m a little concerned about my regen situation thus far. I’ve only had it on for about 150 miles and I’ve gone from 10% spot up to about 75% which tells me this thing is going to cause a substantial increase in regents and that is not something I’m interested in dealing with. I did contact edge and they said to monitor the regents for a bit and if I am not happy with the regen situation they would take it back and refund me my money.
ive seen mine regen twice.... in the last month or so... ive had to clean the maf sensor a few times...
\

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hit my first regen right when I put the edge/ pulsar on my truck and now I’m about to hit another regen after only 175 normal driving miles. What setting are you continuously on? I’ve been on 5 however I haven’t been hammering on it at all. My soot level seems to be climbing very fast.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also did any of you have issues with the ECM connectors? 2 of mine are slightly broke however they still work but I’d love to fix them. The grey “sliders” on the sides broke. I’m wondering if any of you made that same mistake and if so what you did about it? Can’t seem to find a part number or much info on it at all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It’s official. 212 miles between regens with the Pulsar. Before the Pulsar I was regening about every 500 miles, so with the Pulsar, I am regening about 2 1/2X as much as before. There is no question the Pulsar makes some really good power but with regens like this I am thinking it may need to come off my truck and switch to a Banks unless there is another viable option? I hate to say it but after the Banks review, he seems like a total deuche and I really don’t want to support his business but if there are no other decent products I may go ahead and do so anyways.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
That's the difference between Banks and the others. Banks is all about safe, OEM quality power and driveability that doesn't hurt your emissions equipment, transmission, or anything else. The others might make some good peak HP gains but only for short duration and is hard on the truck. People have their own reasons for what they choose but given how expensive these trucks are to purchase and repair, I don't understand why someone would risk using anything else.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I totally agree with you. However I don’t think Banks is the end all be all either. Edge swears up and down by their Pulsar. Clearly is just isn’t quite as good as they think. More than likely I’ll end up going with the banks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did exchange the Pulsar for a Banks Derringer. Not many miles yet but my first impression is that the dog spot levels are much more normal or closer to stock than the Pulsar however the Pulsar made a significant more amount of power. Unfortunetly Banks is definetly more refined and his product has got to be more reliable, it’s just too bad Edge couldn’t do the same because the Pulsar has potential to be great with a little more R&D. But for now my vote definetly goes to Banks. I’ll update later when I have a few more miles under her belt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It’s official. 212 miles between regens with the Pulsar. Before the Pulsar I was regening about every 500 miles, so with the Pulsar, I am regening about 2 1/2X as much as before. There is no question the Pulsar makes some really good power but with regens like this I am thinking it may need to come off my truck and switch to a Banks unless there is another viable option? I hate to say it but after the Banks review, he seems like a total deuche and I really don’t want to support his business but if there are no other decent products I may go ahead and do so anyways.
My 2017 2500 Sierra regens on average every 250miles with no performance mods (yet). But I don't do a lot of highway driving on a daily basis, so that could factor into the frequency.

·
Registered
219 Posts
As someone who had both, the derringer was a joke. The pulsar woke the truck up and I got 600+ miles between regens on power level 4. I’m not a banks hater, he is a brilliant mind, with proven results. That being said, idk how people enjoy the derringer because it literally did nothing for the truck unless your 80%or more into the throttle which lets face it is a rarity for 99% of drivers. The pulsar gave that nice extra torque at low end throttle/speeds which made all the difference to me. Edge took down their rebuttal video but I watched it in the 2 hours before it was taken down and they had some interesting findings...the derringer builds more boost than stock which requires more air...the maf reading doesn’t change but what did...the egr...almost 200% over stock. So he achieves that higher boost number by recycling hot air back through the engine essentially negating any potential power gains and last time I checked that’s not good for these engines. Any way you slice it banks is a company just like edge and gale is in the business to make money. He doesn’t care about the longevity about your truck anymore than GM does or the government for that matter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts